Annoyed by Tools DATA VALIDATION SOURCE

actjfc

When I get in to Tools-DATA-VALIDATION-SOURCE, and I want to introduce a formula two things happen:

1) Paste a formula from other area of the workbook is disabled, so I cannot copy and paste a formula inside this SOURCE window.

2) If I try to modify the very long formula that is currently inside of the source and I use arrows to reach out the right side of the formula that that does show, it starts to show +$X:$Y addresses automatically, damaging the formula currently inside.

En conclusion, the issue is how can I built a very long formula inside the windows Tools DATA VALIDATION SOURCE? Both points, 1 and 2, are very annoying. Can somebody point out my mistake and the right procedure to do it?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Yes, I agree it's annoying....but...

1. Copy the formula first, THEN go to Data - Validation...

2. Resolving #1 should in turn resolve #2.
Try writing the formula out in a cell first...then copy/paste it from there.

Hope that helps..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi

2) If I try to modify the very long formula that is currently inside of the source and I use arrows to reach out the right side of the formula that that does show, it starts to show +$X:$Y addresses automatically, damaging the formula currently inside.
Press F2.

Upvote 0
That's my issue. I tested it several times!. If I copy the formula from anywhere and paste to anywhere within the workbook, it works. But when I go inside of the Tools-DATA-VALIDATION-SOURCE the paste feature is somehow disabled. If I do copy and paste just inside the SOURCE it works! But I have not been able to modify the formula as I want, yet. it is too long for this small SOURCE window.

Thanks for any ideas! I am getting hopeless!

Upvote 0
I figure it out! My formula is too long. It has a maximum allowed number of letters/numbers, so the paste feature is disabled when I reach that maximum. The F2 trick is so far a must have trick! It solves the issue number 2.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back