Annoying run-time error '1004'

Luke777

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I've looked at a few posts regarding this error and the solutions don't appear to be working.

I've tried two bits of code for merging cells in column A. A contains sorted values e.g. A1:A5 all contain '916', A5:A13 contain the word chicken etc etc. I am simply trying to merge these repeats.

I've tried the code given in THIS YouTube video

as well as the below found HERE

VBA Code:
Sub MergeSimilarCells()
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set myRange = Range("A1:A6")
 CheckAgain:
    For Each cell In myRange
        If cell.Value = cell.Offset(1, 0).Value And Not IsEmpty(cell) Then
            Range(cell, cell.Offset(1, 0)).Merge
            cell.VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
            GoTo CheckAgain
        End If
    Next
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True 
End Sub

For testing, I have changed absolutely nothing - though extended the range makes no difference to the error I get.

I've also tried specifying the worksheet in use (though there is only one open to begin with) which didn't help.

The Exact error is "Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error" - which debug highlights the line with ".merge"

Though I have notice that hovering over the first cell of "range(cell, cell.Offset..." shows cell=916... I'm not sure, but is it looking at the number in those cells and thinking that is the cell reference rather than treating it as a string?

Thanks al

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi,
you do not say which error is being displayed but will hazard a guess at Application-Defined or Object-Defined Error?
If this is so, check & see if the worksheet code applies to is protected & if so, unprotect it & re-try your code.

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi, I tried the code given and it's working fine. So seems issue in the sheet.

Please confirm the line on which error is generated.
mergingsimilarcells.JPG

Upvote 0
Hi, I tried the code given and it's working fine. So seems issue in the sheet.

Please confirm the line on which error is generated.
View attachment 53518
it would be line 9 as you have it I believe "Range(cell, cell.offset(1,0)).merge"

What the heck could be making it a sheet issue?

Upvote 0
Hi Luke777, As per Dave's comment please check that sheet is not protected.

Application-defined error.JPG

Upvote 0
Firstly I would recommend against using merged cells, they are an abomination & should be avoided like the plague. They will only cause your grief & problems.
That said, is your data in a structured table?

Upvote 0
Firstly I would recommend against using merged cells, they are an abomination & should be avoided like the plague. They will only cause your grief & problems.
That said, is your data in a structured table?
It's a report generated by 3rd party software/site - so its just dumped onto a sheet with such useful headers as "column 1" and "column 2" followed by actual data from row 2 down. There's no special tables involved as far as I can tell - it looks like it could have been entered manually. Though just incase I am being a bit dense, how would I check?

For full disclosure, in the current report A2:A12 contains the same information (a repeated reference number), B2:B12 contains the same information (a repeated string), C2:C12 contains the same information (another repeated string) - after that D:N contain the actually useful information. My plan was to merge the repeated information so i end up with useful reference points for running some sort of offset later on.

For example, if I wanted to look at the last entry of D for "916" in Column A, I could do a match offset formula or whatever. I figured merging might make that easier.

Regardless, sure would be nice to know what's going wrong at the moment

Upvote 0
Try to match data when you have merged cells, is (IMO) harder than doing it without & usually involves the use of volatiles functions.

If you select a cell in your col A range & look at the ribbon, do you see an extra tab called "Table Design"
1639660691646.png

Upvote 0
Try to match data when you have merged cells, is (IMO) harder than doing it without & usually involves the use of volatiles functions.

If you select a cell in your col A range & look at the ribbon, do you see an extra tab called "Table Design"
View attachment 53521
Yes, I do... that's a little embarrassing lol

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back