Another Excel Formula For Stocks (Positive, Negative, Or Even)

rebel123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Thanks for your help. Please post the formula in an equals formula, please
with the exact cell numbers also.

I am doing stock research and I wanted to find out
how what the answer is (where I can drag the formula down)
for rows T213 and T214.

The way the formula works is like this
$53,376 COMPARED TO $54,498 COMPARED TO $42,572 COMPARED TO $66,807

ANSWER FOR T213 is Up, Down, Up
(Because $53,376 went up to $54,498 & then went down to $42,572 & then went up to $66,807)

ANSWER FOR T214 is Up, Down, Even
(Because $200 went up to $500 and then went down to $100 and was that even with $100.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 11.01.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 11.01.01 AM.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 12
Whilst there are similarities, not all Excel formulae work in Sheets.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Assuming that google sheets still shows a #NAME? error (or similar) when an unknown function name is used, then my formula might still work if you confirm the array correctly. I believe that this is done by adding the arrayformula function to the formula rather than using the excel method of Ctrl Shift Enter.

=ARRAYFORMULA(TEXTJOIN(", ",1,INDEX(CHOOSE(SIGN(O213:Q213-P213:R213)+2,"DOWN","EVEN","UP"),N(IF({1},{3,2,1})))))

If that doesn't work then I have no idea what will other than a series of short formulas joined together as @Yongle suggested earlier, that formula although a bit longer, is a simpler method that will work fine with google sheets as long as you remember to align it to the correct rows in your sheet.

Upvote 0
I was bit puzzled by this one as Ctrl-Shift + Enter and =ArrayFormula both work on Google Sheets (If you use Ctrl-Shift + Enter then it automatically converts it to =ArrayFormula) and I have looked up the functions and Google Sheets appears to have all the functions with the parameters in the same order as Excel.

I couldn't see because of the above why the formula jasonb75 posted wouldn't work with Google Sheets if it had been entered with Ctrl-Shift + Enter so I gave it a go but unfortunately I got the results in column T in the image below (I haven't had time to work out why).

1593633139146.png

I then put in column S the formula Yongle posted with some extra random numbers and I can't see any issue.
@rebel123, can you copy and paste your data directly in the thread please, including data where Yongles formula is giving incorrect results (do a straight copy/paste of the data, do not post an image as I want to see if I can copy it into Google Sheets)

1593633101472.png

Upvote 0
I couldn't see because of the above why the formula jasonb75 posted wouldn't work with Google Sheets if it had been entered with Ctrl-Shift + Enter so I gave it a go but unfortunately I got the results in column T in the image below
I've just tried it with sheets, it appears that the use of N(IF({1} to coerce multiple results from a single index function is not accepted. With INDEX and N(IF({1} removed as below the formula works in sheets, however it does not give the expected results as the INDEX array is needed to reverse the order.

=TEXTJOIN(", ",1,CHOOSE(SIGN(O213:Q213-P213:R213)+2,"DOWN","EVEN","UP"))

Upvote 0
yes thanks fellas... i realize I am 100% unorganized since I changed the rows... But now I am studying stocks and there are 3,534 rows. I think you guys could make money in stocks if you figured out the patterns.
I am new to trading stocks, but I have sold 100's of real estate properties.

Thanks, and I will keep posting and NEXT TIME, I will test them on Excel since I have them on my Macbook,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back