Another Formula with Multiple Conditions

gidget424

I need help with a formula that has several conditions. I can't seem to get it to work. The conditions are:

IF(UPPER(B41)="x"
IF(S8:S13="x",0,"")
IF(C1<=3,C1*C41,"")
IF(C1>=4,45,"")

I keep getting a message that I have too many arguments.

HELP!!!
:confused:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Can you indicate which ones you want to happen when.

Your code:
IF(UPPER(B41)="x"
IF(C1<=3,C1*C41,"")
IF(C1>=4,45,"")

I assume you want it such that if UpperB41="x", then execute the next line. However, your next line indicates that it should end with either a 0 or a blank. This is where you need to indicate that you want the next piece of code - is it supposed to evaluate C1 if S8:S13 <>"x"? If so, then the next line should be put in place of the " ".

Something like this:
IF(UPPER(B41)="x",IF(S8:S13="x",0, IF(C1<=3,C1*C41,"")), (this should be the other half of your If when upper B41<> "x" ))

It is not possible to tell you how the code is to be written unless you list the conditions for each.

HTH,
Colbymack

Upvote 0
The IF(UPPER condition is a mandatory condition for all of the conditions below it. That is the one constant that applies to all.

Upvote 0
gidget424

What you have posted is rather confusing.

Are you trying to use these conditions in 1 formula?

Why are they on different lines?

By the way the first condition UPPER(B4)="x" will always evaluate to false.

Upvote 0
ok.....I'l try to say what I need a little clearer. The conditions for one cell are:

IF(UPPER(B41)="x" (Applies to all conditions below)
And
Or
IF(C1<=3,C1*C41,"")
Or
IF(C1>=4,45,"")

When I have the formula in my worksheet, I have it all on one line.

Upvote 0
Are you indicating that you want all conditions evaluated in one cell, or are these 3 different equations, all beginning with the IF(UPPER(B41)="x" ?

Norie
Unless I am doing something wrong, when I evaluate If(upper(b41)="x", it evaluates to true whether I have a small X or a capital X in B41. I thought the same thing you stated (that it would always evaluate to false), but then I tried it. I am not sure what gidget is trying to accomplish with this portion . . .Gidget, can you explain that part as well?

Upvote 0
colbymack said:
Norie
Unless I am doing something wrong, when I evaluate If(upper(b41)="x", it evaluates to true whether I have a small X or a capital X in B41. I thought the same thing you stated (that it would always evaluate to false), but then I tried it. I am not sure what gidget is trying to accomplish with this portion . . .Gidget, can you explain that part as well?
:oops:

That's right, must of had my VBA hat on.

If that's the case there's no need for the UPPER then.

Upvote 0
If B41 is marked with an "x", then any of the other conditions may apply. If B41 is not mared with an "x", then none of the conditions apply.

Yesterday, I posted a question regarding multiple conditions. I had a situation similar to this one but it only had 2 conditions, and one was that a certain cell had to be marked with an "x". I used the corrected formula that I was give and it worked fine which contained the IF(UPPER command. I tried to apply the same method to a formula today and it isn't working. Maybe I shouldn't be using the IF(UPPER command for this formula? I used it because I would have had too many IF's in the formula.

Upvote 0
Gidget, you wrote the equation as:
IF(UPPER(B41)="x" (Applies to all conditions below)
And
Or
IF(C1<=3,C1*C41,"")
Or
IF(C1>=4,45,"")

However, the inherent problem with that is that you have " " at the end of each of the OR items. For example, you evaluate S8:S13 for "x". IF it is true, then you return a 0. If not, then you return " ".

What do you want it to do if it finds an X in S8:S13, and it also fins that C1 <=3? If this is not possible, and you are actually intending to just chain all of these together, then you should have something like this:

IF(UPPER(B41)="x", IF(S8:S13="x",0,IF(C1<=3,C1*C41,IF(C1>=4,45,""))),"")

However, doing this results in an error in the returned value because the formula is unhappy with the evaluation of S8:S13="x". What are you trying to evaluate with this?

Upvote 0
Norie,
Why is it that when I evaluate S8:S13 for "x" in an IF statement by itself it returns the false value, but if I put it into gidgets formula, it chokes and give a #Value response?

I think I know why it returns the false when it is on its own - it doesn't know how to interpret the range of cells equal to "x" - but I can't figure out why it won't evaluate the range within the bigger forumual and still return false.

Either way, I am guessing this is not what gidget wants.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back