Another User Has Exclusive Access

ARW17

Board Regular
I can't get multiple users in a new database. When I've written previous databases, I split them and made multiple front ends and had no issues. I've been working for weeks on this and can't figure it out.

What I've Tried:
1. The database is split and the BE is in a separate folder from the front end.
2. I've made multiple .accdb and .accde front ends, but the error is in both.
3. We have 3 users. They all have Client Settings>Advanced>Default Open Mode>Shared AND Client Settings>Advanced>Default Record Locking>Edited Record.
4. We're all working in full versions of MS Access 2013.
5. We all have permissions to access the files where the front and back ends are stored.

We can't get our work done if only one person is in it at a time. I need serious help. Anyone have additional suggestions? The last db I worked on, most folks had the reader and they used .accde files. Does this have something to do with it? Also, should I be seeing a lock symbol on my .accde files when they're not open?

TYIA

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Every user can get in? But not concurrently with another user?

Upvote 0
Is anyone/everyone using a shortcut to open the fe, but that shortcut was designed to open exclusively? It is possible to do that.
Are you sure everyone's not trying to edit the same record on startup, such as in a login table or similar?
You have properly set up the fe's (as mentioned above) but you have a conflicting setting on the be?

what does this mean - the lccdb file icon?
Also, should I be seeing a lock symbol on my .accde files when they're not open?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you should see the lock icon when one or more people have the database open. Actually in a quick test I see it even when the database is not open by anyone. So maybe it's just a weird icon.

However, you should not see an [same_databasename].laccdb file if *no one* is using the database.

Upvote 0
In this case, perhaps, but 1 reason why you might is because a user wasn't given delete rights on the network folder thus it remains for a time.
I opened a 2016 db exclusively but couldn't see any locked icon on it.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's right. Everyone can get in if they're the only ones. Does it have anything to do with full Access versions instead of just readers?

Upon opening, they're trying to choose a person and a type of work to grade.

Upvote 0
> 5. We all have permissions to access the files where the front and back ends are stored.

it still sounds to me like everyone is opening the same front end

everyone needs their own copy of the front end

Upvote 0
everyone needs their own copy of the front end
technically I don't think that is true, or at least it should work and I don't see where it would cause this problem. Just my two cents

Note - unless of course either the FE or the BE or both are set to open with exclusive access which is my first and only suggestion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I'd like to pivot this a bit. It seems like there are 2 specific forms that won't work with 2 users at a time. It isn't the database itself. What would prevent users from using the same FORM at the same time, as opposed to the whole database itself?

I've triple checked that neither FE or BE are being opened in exclusive mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back