another weighted average question needs answer please

waltr1122

Hi All, tried to look up the answer cause I know we covered this years ago 2005 ish. I needed to get same type answer/formula then but can't find the answer and can't remember how we did it.

So here goes:

I'm getting old and want to set up a will. I have a couple dollars in investments. have 9 people on a list. Right now I have them setup to get a dollar amount based on how much my investments are worth. So the total amount of the investments are 5,000 dollars today. I want to give varying amounts of 1,000 2,000 1,200 500 etc. So I think have to do it by percentages into what ever total will be going forward. Then using the number of people I have to assign them their percentage of the total 100% dollar amount. This make sense? So I'm trying things like count/sum to try to figure out each percentage but I'm just not getting it. Like I said getting old and haven't done this for many years and it isn't coming back.

Hope I have explained this adequately.

Last time we worked on something like this it involved an accounts payable system that YOU ALL helped me with. I had 33 cost centers that each had to pay a different amount based on the number of participants in the various cost centers. So each invoice was a different amount and quite often some of the cost centers didn't have to pay because they weren't involved. This was handled by the spreadsheet. I had a field that was yes on no a 1 or "blank" that added or ignored certain cost centers then use the ones picked to give their weighted average percentages and then multiplied them into the total bill to get their portion of the cost. I just remember it was a thing of beauty. For over 5 years it worked perfectly never so much as a penny off. And when you are talking tens of thousands of dollars in payments on each invoice it had to be right.

But I digress, then like now, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Walt

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back