Any better way to do this?

Guanjin Peter

in each cell =SUMPRODUCT(--(db!$A$2:$A26=$B$1),--(db!$F$2:$F26=C$5),--(db!$G$2:$G26=C$6),--(db!$E$2:$E26=$A7),--(db!$D$2:$D26=$B7),db!$H$2:$H26)

is suppose to return values either 1,2 or 3

if it is 1, the cell value will be KG
if it is 2, the cell value will be BAG
if it is 3, the cell value will be PKT

VLOOKUP WON't work for me because it returns >>><TABLE style="WIDTH: 73pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=97 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 73pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3547" width=97><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 19.5pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=26><TD class=xl65 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 73pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 19.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=97 height=26 x:err="#NAME?">#NAME?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
after go to each cell then press 'enter' key then it returns
1(or 2 or 3)

Unless i got a way to refresh the page....any idea guys?
protoV5.xls
IJKL
1uomCodeUom
21KG
32PKT
41KG
53BAG
61KG
72PKT
81KG
93BAG
102PKT
113BAG
122PKT
131KG
142PKT
153BAG
162PKT
172PKT
181KG
192PKT
202PKT
213BAG
221KG
233BAG
242PKT
db

Peter,

Looks like it might be OK. I keep thinking along the lines of my comments above. The spreadsheet structure is leading to unnecessarily complex formulas. Suggest you 'sit back' and revise the structure - it could be so much easier. (I'm referring to the whole spreadsheet and various other threads, not just this specific thread.)

regards, Fazza

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
=IF(OR(SUMPRODUCT(--(db!$A$2:$A57=$B$1),--(db!$F$2:$F57=C$5),--(db!$G$2:$G57=C$6),--(db!$E$2:$E57=$A7),--(db!$D$2:$D57=$B7),db!$J$2:$J57)={1,2,3}),CHOOSE(SUMPRODUCT(--(db!$A$2:$A57=$B$1),--(db!$F$2:$F57=C$5),--(db!$G$2:$G57=C$6),--(db!$E$2:$E57=$A7),--(db!$D$2:$D57=$B7),db!$J$2:$J57),"KG","PKT","BAG"),"Blank")

Shall I give you a suggestion on the usage of this formula ? I wanted to share something which I learnt yesterday regarding this formula.

Upvote 0
Well, I see that you have made use of the OR() function in SUMPRODUCT(). If I have understood correctly, then you should use the + operator instead of an OR() in the formula because Excel wiill first calculate the value for this 'OR()' boolean across all the conditions and will take the final result of this boolean output while calculating SUMPRODUCT(), thereby creating a discrepancy. It is better to be cautious.

I do think about it this way and I really don't know if I have understood this correctly, as PGC has explained it to me. We do have masters of excel around and I am sure they would correct my statements incase I am wrong and I guess it would help me too.

Look for PGC'c post number 4 & 7 in which he is addressing me: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323007

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back