Any comments on this Wordle data?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Several other family members (not me) are Wordle nuts. They debate with each other about the best words to start with. It seemed to me that there ought to be a way to analyze the probabiities, so I decided to do a little "research". I downloaded several lists of 5-letter words, merged them, and removed duplicates. I ended up with 5,760 words. I wrote some code to count how often each letter occurs in each position in each word (1-5). I got this chart.

Wordle-letter-frequencies.jpg

I was surprised by the variability from position to position. "S", for example, is the most common letter in 1st and last position, but only #17 in 2nd. "K" is #7 overall and #4 in 4th position. So it seems pretty clear that the position of a letter really matters.

Picking letters from this chart, I suggested 3 possible first words: SAINT, CORES, & COATS. They seemed to contain all letters fairly high of the chart.

Then it occurred to me that I could calculate the average frequency of the letters in each word and then sort that list. Here are the top 150 words. My word CORES came in at #8, but the other two did not fare so well. COATS is #264 and SAINT is #2080, both off the chart below.

image.png

I think the minisheet plus the VBA code is a bit too much to post here, so I've uploaded them both to this OneDrive folder. This was a quick and dirty coding run, so Im sure there are far better ways to do it. But I'd still be interested in any comments and/or suggestions for different or better data.

Cheers...

Attachments

• 1679269530267.png
    1679269530267.png
    225.2 KB · Views: 4
Do your statistics include words where one letter appears more than once - like PAPER, APPLY etc. ? Those ones can really trip you up as having already guessed one correct letter you are then looking for letters other than the ones already used!
Yes. My code first tallies the number of times each letter occurs in each position in each of the 5,760 words. That's the first table. It then uses those numbers to calculate an average frequency for each word by averaging the frequencies of each letter in that word.

Here are the numbers for your two words:

Wordle.xlsm
VWXYZAAAB
3LtrFreqRankLtrFreqRank
4A5.149P6.79
5P1.9611A16.1611
6P2.9314P2.9314
7L4.2210E21.3410
8Y11.552R6.962
Tallies

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
On my rating list based on letter frequencies by position, SHOUT is #4398, BREAD is #627.
Just for fun, is there any way to include actual completion stats? For instance, my completions stats are as follows:
Number of Guesses: 1 = 0, 2 = 6, 3 = 60, 4 = 81, 5 = 78, 6 = 40. I don't know what those numbers are based on. I've "played" a total of 312 games. Maybe they're percentages.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back