Any protocol or advice on how to remove dynamic named ranges?

ExcelOnTheClock

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi folks,

I've inherited an Excel file with 32 dynamic named ranges. It's god awful trying to track down the mechanics of this stupid Excel file. The dynamic named ranges are a main reason for that. Is there a good way to fix something like this? I understand the mechanics of dynamic named ranges, but I'm not sure of the best to make this file more intuitive.

I guess a broader question is: do you have any suggestions / ideas on how to structure a reverse engineering of a messy spreadsheet?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Ribbon>Formulas>Name Manager
Delete or edit the ranges?

Upvote 0
I assumed that, but it's hard to do that quickly on dynamic named ranges--I have to figure out what all it's calculating.

Upvote 0
The only time I used dynamic ranges was to push data from Access to a wb that contained charts. Since the chart data could be more or less from time to time, I used dynamic range for the chart. So I'm not grasping what the issue is (beyond perhaps having so many dr's) since the ranges don't actually calculate anything - they provide a dynamic range of data for those calculations, charts or whatever it is that is based on them?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back