Any way to run an 'audit' to see which formula/processes are most bogging down my file?

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
I'm pulling in a few hundred real-time stock quotes at once and automatically performing a bunch of sorting and modeling as the data updates, but it often lags badly so that I'm sometimes seeing stale stock quotes (30-60s after they change). I've determined that it's not the real-time quotes themselves b/c as part of my troubleshooting I created a separate bare-bones file that does nothing but pull in the streaming quotes, and the prices update in that file almost immediately. I have a 2nd file that pulls in the quotes from the 1st and does all of the sorting, formatting, etc, and only when that one is open does the lag get bad.)

I want to know whether there's any way to figure out just which formulas, calculations, or formatting are most responsible for the lag. To this point I've been troubleshooting by saving a copy of the file and systematically deleting formula groups, turning off conditional formatting, and trying to see if I notice a difference. Problem is there's probably 100+ different such variables and the lag -- even when it happens -- is very inconsistent (re: when it happens, and how bad it is) so it's really hard / time-consuming to isolate using that kind of iteration.

TLDR: Is there any kind of auditing tool or something else that can quantify which formulas / calculations / formatting / processes are most bogging me down?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back