Anyone in a trucking business? Cost tracking...

araymc1965

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have some industry-specific questions & am hoping to get a bit of help with creating a spreadsheet to capture what my boss has now tasked me with creating. Of course, I'll list what he is wanting and maybe it will cross over to other industries as well.
smile.gif

We operate a business where we go to towns in about 100 mile radius of our office. He wants me to create a tracking spreadsheet where we can place mileage, fuel cost, time, & driver hours in order to find out our costs to do each stop. He rambles off a bunch of things so I am basically trying to decipher what it is he really wants and I think this would best summarize my task.

If it is too much to ask for help, I apologize.

Thanks in advance,
Anita

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hey Anita,

We can only help if there is problem with sample data.

Say for Instance

If we have Total Distance Travelled/Mileage, it will provide us total Fuel Consumption

We can have time from his duty hour books or log book

We can get Fuel Consumption *(Fuel cost/Litre) to find out the Fuel Cost which can be checked with the Payment made.

Taking daily Fuel Stock can provide us details of Actual stock with Calculated stock

Just an overview

Upvote 0
Anita,
The company I worked for runs a private truck fleet of both local and long haul.
I assume since you say you run out about 100 miles would mean you are basically just doing local deliveries.
What type of trucks are you running- box, tractor trailer, both.
How many units (trucks, trailers) do you run?

If you breakdown your cost/mile per each unit you can then get a cost per destination.
The normal cost you would want to consider:
  • Fuel Cost
  • Truck/Trailer lease or purchase payments
  • Repair & Maintenance
  • Truck Insurance
  • Permits & Licenses
  • Tires
  • Tolls
  • Driver Wages & Benefits (are drivers paid per hour, per mile, per trip etc.).
Setting up a spreadsheet to track the above cost would not be difficult, but it would depend on the number of units and types of trucks you are running.

Upvote 0
Anita,
The company I worked for runs a private truck fleet of both local and long haul.

I assume since you say you run out about 100 miles would mean you are basically just doing local deliveries.
YES, we do basically local-- we haul roll-off boxes (giant dumpsters) to various job sites within about 100 miles

What type of trucks are you running- box, tractor trailer, both.
We run roll-off trucks--- not box or tractor trailer..LOL

How many units (trucks, trailers) do you run?
We have about 6 trucks.

If you breakdown your cost/mile per each unit you can then get a cost per destination.
I'm looking at one of the locations which is 48 miles round trip. Our trucks should get in the neighborhood of 4.87 mpg.

The normal cost you would want to consider:
  • Fuel Cost Average diesel cost: $2.25 per gal
  • Tolls None
  • Driver Wages & Benefits (are drivers paid per hour, per mile, per trip etc.). Paid hourly plus a per box incentive
The below he is not specifying to be included in what he wants to track. I believe his main plan is to track the per job, per location in order to be able to know when we quote our pricing that we are not losing $$ because of the distance/time/fuel for those in the farthest distance.
  • Truck/Trailer lease or purchase payments
  • Repair & Maintenance
  • Truck Insurance
  • Permits & Licenses
  • Tires

Setting up a spreadsheet to track the above cost would not be difficult, but it would depend on the number of units and types of trucks you are running.

Upvote 0
There are number of ways to do this, but maybe this example will give you some ideas. You could setup a Data sheet to capture the cost items and then have a summary tab.
It may be difficult to have the drives give you the starting and ending odometer reading for each trip, so you could just use an estimated mileage in the mileage column and delete the odometer columns. Also, add any other cost columns if needed.

The summary sheet could be setup to look at a date range for total cost per mile and/or by customer.

Hopefully this will give you a little help.

Data Sheet
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
2DateTruck#Beg. OdometerEnding OdometerCustomerMilesEst. Fuel mpgDriver HoursDriver PayBox IncentiveEst. Fuel $Cost$/Mile
36/12/2020Unit14500045048Cust1489.8562.25 $34.43 $25.00 $22.18 $81.60 $1.70
46/12/2020Unit25650056530Cust2306.1601.00 $15.30 $25.00 $13.86 $54.16 $1.81
56/13/2020Unit33360033700Cust310020.5344.25 $65.03 $25.00 $46.20 $136.23 $1.36
66/13/2020Unit14504845077Cust2295.9551.25 $19.13 $25.00 $13.40 $57.52 $1.98
76/15/2020Unit66600066080Cust68016.4273.00 $45.90 $25.00 $36.96 $107.86 $1.35
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F3:F7F3=D3-C3
G3:G7G3=F3/$G$1
K3:K7K3=G3*$K$1
L3:L7L3=SUM(I3:K3)
M3:M7M3=L3/F3
I3:I7I3=H3*15.3

Summary Sheet
Book1
ABCDE
1Summary
2Beg. DateEnd Date
3Date Range6/1/20206/30/2020
5 Total $/mile
6Average $1.52
8CustomerTotal MilesTotal Cost$/Mile
9Cust259 $111.68 $1.89
Summary
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B6B6=SUMIFS(Data!$L$3:$L$7,Data!$A$3:$A$7,">="&$B$3,Data!$A$3:$A$7,"<="&$C$3)/SUM(Data!$F$3:$F$7)
B9B9=SUMIFS(Data!$F$3:$F$7,Data!$E$3:$E$7,$A9,Data!$A$3:$A$7,">="&$B$3,Data!$A$3:$A$7,"<="&$C$3)
C9C9=SUMIFS(Data!$L$3:$L$7,Data!$E$3:$E$7,$A9,Data!$A$3:$A$7,">="&$B$3,Data!$A$3:$A$7,"<="&$C$3)
D9D9=C9/B9

Upvote 0
This looks great! I'm off until Monday and will be excited to work with this example. I'm sure I will have questions & hope you won't mind my asking some.

Thank you so much for putting in the thought process to help. I try to jump through hoops to achieve what he asks of me...the boss, i mean.

Anita

Upvote 0
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules. Please review the rules and update your thread with the relevant link(s). Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My apologies.

I've cross-posted my inquiry in a total of 2 forums.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I've cross-posted my inquiry in a total of 2 forums.
Thanks. The rule also asks you to provide links to those cross-posts. That way, if helpers want, they can check if the issue has been solved elsewhere or whether they might have a better solution for you.

Upvote 0
Thanks. The rule also asks you to provide links to those cross-posts. That way, if helpers want, they can check if the issue has been solved elsewhere or whether they might have a better solution for you.

Oh! I totally didn't follow that... I'll have to fix when I'm back on my pc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back