Anyone in a trucking business? Cost tracking...

araymc1965

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have some industry-specific questions & am hoping to get a bit of help with creating a spreadsheet to capture what my boss has now tasked me with creating. Of course, I'll list what he is wanting and maybe it will cross over to other industries as well.
smile.gif

We operate a business where we go to towns in about 100 mile radius of our office. He wants me to create a tracking spreadsheet where we can place mileage, fuel cost, time, & driver hours in order to find out our costs to do each stop. He rambles off a bunch of things so I am basically trying to decipher what it is he really wants and I think this would best summarize my task.

If it is too much to ask for help, I apologize.

Thanks in advance,
Anita

Hello Anita

Since I know you are working on this sheet today, and there is no telling when AhoyNC will return to answer the following question you asked in your post #20 above here, I thought I'd take the liberty and answer.

You asked: Ok...I do have a question about the incentive column...I don't see that it calculates into the "Cost" column---and maybe it shouldn't.

The Answer: I'm assuming you are talking about the 'Simplified Data Sheet'. The answer to your question is YES, the way the formula in the Cost column (for example I2) is written, means the Box Incentive amount IS included in the Cost column. If you want proof of this, add the three amounts together and you'll come with the Cost amount. e.g. 34.43 + 25.00+ 23.18 (I think there was a typing error, as the total should be $81.61 not $81.60)

To explain this better, if you look at the formula in the Cost column (I2) you will see it is written as: =SUM(F2:H2) The colon in the middle signifies 'everything between the two parameters.' In plain English, this is saying to add, starting at F2 and include EVERYTHING all the way over to H2 inclusive. So you are getting Drivers Pay and Box Incentive and Est. Fuel. What you need to do is decide whether or not you want the Box Incentive to be included. If you do want it included, then do nothing, but if not, then you need to edit the formula to either read as: =SUM(F2+H2) or =F2+H2
Both versions will give the same answer. I hope this will be of some help to you.

To answer your last question about whether you need to crawl under your desk for awhile...no, I think it will be okay for you to stay sitting normally at your desk. :)

Take care.
TotallyConfused

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Incentive is included in the total cost. In the first example in column L the SUM(I3:K3) includes Pay+Incentive+Fuel. In the second example SUM(F2:H2) includes the 3 cost.
I just noticed TotallyConfused answered this.

Upvote 0
Incentive is included in the total cost. In the first example in column L the SUM(I3:K3) includes Pay+Incentive+Fuel. In the second example SUM(F2:H2) includes the 3 cost.
I just noticed TotallyConfused answered this.

Thank ya! I really do appreciate it. :)
Anita
who has adapted the tag: T-TotallyConfused...ehheheehe

Upvote 0
I'm continually going to work on this spreadsheet and hone it with the info as he asks. I have to first get this thing off the ground where I know what I'm going to show and explain to him..hehehee! I think I am pretty well on my way. I think I could benefit from an actual class in excel (among other things)...I actually think I would love it, well, that is, if it were in person--my best learning environment.

I definitely appreciate the help and insight from you guys. Once I get it maybe I can figure out how to post a portion to this thread.

Thanks for being the best!
Anita

Upvote 0
Good luck and if you need any help with it let us know.
You may want to look at this site Excel is Fun on YouTube for free Excel classes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back