Anyone know of a faster calculation for the CPU???

mdavidge

Board Regular
Hello,

I have a macro that pastes formulas. The macro described below takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to run. I am wondering if anyone knows of a better way to perform these calculations in Excel. The calculation appears to tax the CPU and the this is the time killer.

The spead sheet is rather large with roughly 65,000 rows and 170 columns. I have 140 columns with the SUMPRODUCT formula listed below in the second row. My macro selects an adjasent area with 920 rows and pastes 140 colums with SUMPRODUCT (formulas like below) down with the SUMPRODUCT formulas. The lookup data is what makes up the 65,000 rows. This calculation of 920 rows X 140 colums takes the CPU 1 hour and 20 minutes to complete.

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$4:$A$65000=$Y4),--($L$4:$L$65000="SEALS"),($M$4:$M$65000))

I have build the calculation in Access only to find that Excel cannot transfer more than 50 Fields from an Access Query back to Excel in an automated way. I have built both ADO code and tried Import External Data. Both will return the info if pulled from a Access Table, but not from a Query.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Aladin,

I have 3 colums of product descriptions. One is the Product, second is a sub group, and the third is a product family - Minor, Mid and Major if you will. The "Seals" is a major group. Another calculation will look for "Voyager Seals" in a minor group column.

I hope this explains it.

Mike

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Norie,

I appreciate the code. My code is cumbersome because it is looking for the bottom of row of a different section of the worksheet with the same number of rows that this calculation will have.

I did learn something new from your solution though.

Thanks,
Mike

Upvote 0
Explore alternatives that leverage existing native power rather than the brute force use of SUMPRODUCT (--

Option 1: Treat the XL data set as the source for SQL queries that provide you with the conditional totals you need.

Option 2: Consider a native function like DSUM

Option 3: Use Autofilter to restrict the number of rows for analysis. Then, use SubTotal.

mdavidge said:
Hello,

I have a macro that pastes formulas. The macro described below takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to run. I am wondering if anyone knows of a better way to perform these calculations in Excel. The calculation appears to tax the CPU and the this is the time killer.

The spead sheet is rather large with roughly 65,000 rows and 170 columns. I have 140 columns with the SUMPRODUCT formula listed below in the second row. My macro selects an adjasent area with 920 rows and pastes 140 colums with SUMPRODUCT (formulas like below) down with the SUMPRODUCT formulas. The lookup data is what makes up the 65,000 rows. This calculation of 920 rows X 140 colums takes the CPU 1 hour and 20 minutes to complete.

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$4:$A$65000=$Y4),--($L$4:$L$65000="SEALS"),($M$4:$M$65000))

I have build the calculation in Access only to find that Excel cannot transfer more than 50 Fields from an Access Query back to Excel in an automated way. I have built both ADO code and tried Import External Data. Both will return the info if pulled from a Access Table, but not from a Query.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back