Append data to pivot cache

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I need to construct reports where the data easily occupies more than 65k rows (usingh xl2003). Reports are outputted as pivot tables. I have managed to understand how to create pivot cache but now I would like to know if it is possible to append data to an existing pivot cache.

I would download a new report from SAP each month and I want to append it to the cache. This is what I have as far as creating a cache is concerned:

---------------------
<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> conADO <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">New</SPAN> ADODB.Connection<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> recTable <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">New</SPAN> ADODB.Recordset<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strSQL <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> pch <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> PivotCache<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> pivMain <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> PivotTable<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> strPath <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><br>strPath = ActiveWorkbook.FullName<br><br>conADO.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _<br>            "Data Source=" & strPath & ";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=35"<br>strSQL = "Select * From [Table1]"<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> recTable = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">New</SPAN> ADODB.Recordset<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> recTable.activeconnection = conADO<br>recTable.Open strSQL<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> pch = ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Add(xlExternal)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> pch.Recordset = recTable<br><br>Worksheets.Add before:=Sheets(1)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> pivMain = ActiveSheet.PivotTables.Add(PivotCache:=pch, TableDestination:=Range("A1"))</FONT>

---------------------
Thanks for reading :)

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I don't believe you can - I think you have to rebuild the whole thing each time.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rory

I'm new to this, so a few follow up questions:
  1. Can I query the cache with SQL? E.g: Select * From pch
  2. If so then I should be able to create a new pivot cache by Unioning the two data sets together, but how do I collect data from the external table but exclude headers/field names.
  3. If I loop thru all my pivot tables and point them toward the new cache, will I lose the pivot table layout?
I know I could answer many of these by just trying but I'm hesitant to spend so much time on the code if it isn't really viable.

Cheers

Upvote 0
1. Nope. You can access the Recordset as a Recordset, but not query it.
2. Not much point as you can't union (see 1).
3. Theoretically no, I don't think that would be a problem, if all the same fields are available, but see 1 and 2!

Upvote 0
Ouch... Show stopper! :(

Thanks Rory, you've saved me from spending hours on the impossible...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back