Application.Match on 2 Day array (multiple criteria)

ericlch16

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Experts,

i have a 2D array that is simplified as

array= (10,"","")
array= (10,1,"")
array=(10,1,"")
array=(10,2,"")
array=(10,1,23)
array=(10,1,24)
array=(10,1,25)
array=(10,1,26)
array=(10,2,40)
array=(10,2,42)

as you can see above, the array is already sorted in ascending order by column 1, column 2 then column 3. I am trying to user application match on the 3 columns to find the first occurrence and last occurrence of a concatenated value of column 1,2.

for example
10-"" : first occurrence will be 1 and last occurrence will be 1
10-1 : first occurrence will be 2 and last occurrence will be 3
10-2 : first occurrence will be 4 and last occurrence will be 4
10-1 : first occurrence will be 5 and last occurrence will be 8
10-2 : first occurrence will be 9 and last occurrence will be 10

I can get the concatenated string (e.g 10-"", 10-1,10-2) and first occurrence as I am already looping into it. But how can i get the last occurrence index using application.match or by using any other function? I would like to avoid another loop

can you do application.match on 2 columns in a 2D array? any other alternate function i can use?

thanks

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
the array is already sorted in ascending order by column 1, column 2 then column 3.
Sorry but in the example it is: 1 - 3 - 2

Upvote 0
yes. typo error for sorting column. thanks.

the array is already sorted in ascending order by column 1, column 3 then column 2.

any solution for application.match?

Upvote 0
Yes. I filter excel first, copy filtered data to myworkbook, then copy from myworkbook to array.

from array, then i do the for loop.

Upvote 0
Yes. I filter excel first, copy filtered data to myworkbook, then copy from myworkbook to array.

from array, then i do the for loop.
This sounds convoluted?

Why not just use a formula in Excel: =MAX(IF("10-2"=INDEX(MyArray,,1)&"-"&INDEX(MyArray,,2),ROW(MyArray))) (which I think you'll need to array-enter).

Or from VBA: =EVALUATE("MAX(IF(""10-2""=INDEX(MyArray,,1)&""-""&INDEX(MyArray,,2),ROW(MyArray)))")

Upvote 0
This sounds convoluted?

Why not just use a formula in Excel: =MAX(IF("10-2"=INDEX(MyArray,,1)&"-"&INDEX(MyArray,,2),ROW(MyArray))) (which I think you'll need to array-enter).

Or from VBA: =EVALUATE("MAX(IF(""10-2""=INDEX(MyArray,,1)&""-""&INDEX(MyArray,,2),ROW(MyArray)))")

i tried the VBA one and i am getting error 2029. I cannot figure it out what is the syntax error. any help?

TEST = Evaluate("MAX(IF(""" & mysectionnumber & " - " & myunitnumber & """=INDEX(TempArray,," & csv_sectioncolumn & ")&""-""&INDEX(TempArray,," & csv_unitcolumn & "),ROW(TempArray)))")

Upvote 0
Assuming mysectionnumber etc are VBA variables, and not Excel range names, try:

TEST = Evaluate("MAX(IF(""" & mysectionnumber & "-" & myunitnumber & """=INDEX(TempArray,," & csv_sectioncolumn & ") & ""-"" & INDEX(TempArray,," & csv_unitcolumn & "),ROW(TempArray)))")

You were very close. You just needed to give space to your ampersands. Because of the legacy VBA variables types (where a variable SomeLong& is a Long because of the & suffix) VBA will give you a syntax error on

C=A&B or C=A& B, but not with, say C=A+B or C=A+ B.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back