Application.ontime - still stuck :F

thorpyuk

Hiya,

I have a spreadsheet that looks like this:

pic.jpg

I want to bring up a prompt whenever now() is equal to any of the date / time combinations in column L, regardless of where in the spreadsheet I am working. (or even better, regardless of which application I am working in). The spreadsheet will always be open...

I've tried this code in the workbook_SheetSelectionChange module, but it does not work & gives me an error:

Code:
If Application.OnTime = Sheets("Callback").Range("L25").Value Then
    MsgBox "Please contact " & Sheets("Callback").Range("B25").Value

Please can anyone help? Thanks

"bumpety bump"? :)

How exactly do these dates and times find their way into column L? I would assume that there must be a dynamic-dependant structure if this can occur even when the user is not actively using that particular worksheet. Correct? Please explain "all" of the ways dates/times are stamped into this worksheet in column L. This is where I would look first. You may be able to cleanly resond to level 1 events instead of looping.

Also, what do you mean by "I want to bring up a prompt whenever now() is equal to any of the date / time combinations in column L"? I think you are speaking of a messagebox?... If not, please define what this prompt is.

What behavior are you looking for when a (Now = DateTime) event occurs and Excel is not the active application? Should Excel become the foreground window? What behavior are you looking for here?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi right_click, thanks for replying....

Basically, it's a callback cue, and the date / time gets put into column L by the user adding a callback time and date, and clicking 'add'

I then sort column L, so always the next time/date to need monitoring is Cell L23..... because this is the nearest callback time to now.

If excel, and even better, my workbook "CRM 2" were to become the active window, and a msgbox were to appear, following my code as is now:

This is the code which checks the cell at the moment and brings in the msgbox:

Code:
If Sheets("Callback").Range("L23").Value <= Now() Then MsgBox "Please call back " & Sheets("Callback").Range("B23") & " from " & Sheets("Callback").Range("C23").Value & " on " & Sheets("Callback").Range("K23").Value

Then this is the rest of the macro, which makes the callback sheet active, asks the user to remove the event from the queue (eg line 23) and then returns the user to wverever they were in the spreadsheet before.

Code:
If Sheets("Callback").Range("L23").Value <= Now() Then Sheets("Callback").Visible = True
Set returnsheet = ActiveSheet
Sheets("Callback").Select
   Dim Sheet As Object
   For Each Sheet In Sheets
       If Not Sheet.Name = "Callback" Then
           Sheet.Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden
       End If
   Next
   Set Sheet = Nothing
    Ans = MsgBox("Do you wish to remove this appointment from the callback queue?", 4, "CRM Callback")
        If Ans = vbYes Then
            Range("A23:L23").ClearContents
            Range("A22:L40").Select
            Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("L23"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
                OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
            Range("C12").Select
            returnsheet.Visible = True
            returnsheet.Select
            Sheets("Callback").Visible = False
            Exit Sub
        Else: Exit Sub
        End If

Upvote 0
Start with this...

<table border="1" bgcolor="White"><caption ALIGN=left><font size="2" face=Courier New>Example VBA Code:</FONT></caption><tr><td><font size="2" face=Courier New>  <font color="#0000A0">Option</font> <font color="#0000A0">Explicit</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Private</font> <font color="#0000A0">Declare</font> <font color="#0000A0">Function</font> GetForegroundWindow <font color="#0000A0">Lib</font> "user32" () <font color="#0000A0">As</font> <font color="#0000A0">Long</font>
  <font color="#0000A0">Private</font> <font color="#0000A0">Declare</font> <font color="#0000A0">Function</font> SetForegroundWindow <font color="#0000A0">Lib</font> "user32" (ByVal hwnd <font color="#0000A0">As</font> Long) <font color="#0000A0">As</font> <font color="#0000A0">Long</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Private</font> RunNextTime <font color="#0000A0">As</font> <font color="#0000A0">Date</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Private</font> <font color="#0000A0">Sub</font> Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel <font color="#0000A0">As</font> Boolean)
       CancelOnTime
  <font color="#0000A0">End</font> <font color="#0000A0">Sub</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Private</font> <font color="#0000A0">Sub</font> Workbook_Open()
       SchdlOnTime

<font color="#0000A0">Private</font> <font color="#0000A0">Sub</font> CallBackProcessor()

<font color="#0000A0">Dim</font> Sheet <font color="#0000A0">As</font> Object, returnsheet <font color="#0000A0">As</font> Object, Ans <font color="#0000A0">As</font> VbMsgBoxResult

<font color="#0000A0">If</font> Sheets("Callback").Range("L23").Value <= Now() <font color="#0000A0">Then</font>
          <font color="#008000"> 'place your code here or call your procedure from here</font>

Sheets("Callback").Visible = True
           <font color="#0000A0">Set</font> returnsheet = ActiveSheet

<font color="#0000A0">If</font> Application.WindowState = xlMinimized <font color="#0000A0">Then</font> Application.WindowState = xlMaximized

<font color="#0000A0">If</font> GetForegroundWindow <> Application.hwnd <font color="#0000A0">Then</font>
               SetForegroundWindow Application.hwnd
           <font color="#0000A0">End</font> <font color="#0000A0">If</font>

<font color="#0000A0">For</font> <font color="#0000A0">Each</font> Sheet <font color="#0000A0">In</font> Sheets
               <font color="#0000A0">If</font> <font color="#0000A0">Not</font> Sheet.Name = "Callback" <font color="#0000A0">Then</font>
           <font color="#0000A0">Next</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Set</font> Sheet = <font color="#0000A0">Nothing</font>

Ans = MsgBox("Do you wish to remove this appointment from the callback queue?", vbYesNo, "CRM Callback")

<font color="#0000A0">If</font> Ans = vbYes <font color="#0000A0">Then</font>
               Range("C12").Select
               returnsheet.Select

SchdlOnTime

<font color="#0000A0">Private</font> <font color="#0000A0">Sub</font> SchdlOnTime()
       RunNextTime = Now + TimeSerial(0, 0, 1)
       Application.OnTime RunNextTime, "ThisWorkbook.CallBackProcessor"

<font color="#0000A0">Private</font> <font color="#0000A0">Sub</font> CancelOnTime()
       Application.OnTime RunNextTime, "ThisWorkbook.CallBackProcessor", False
</FONT></td></tr></table>

Upvote 0
nearly right_click, I got a run-time error in:

Code:
  Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) 
       CancelOnTime 
  End Sub

"sub or function not defined", and the same with:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
      SchdlOnTime
End Sub

I was unsure about where I should put all the code. The beforeclose and workbook_open were easy enough (although I have code in them already so I couldnt just copy & paste the lot.....)

But the rest, I pasted into a module... is this correct?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Ok, I sorted it out, and it works, but not without some quite major side effects!!!

Firstly, it wont allow me to edit anything using the control toolbar, because it switches the focus off for eg, a hidden command button too quickly. I suspect this may be solved by the use of the time serial....

Secondly, it wont let me close the thing down lol! Every time I shut the workbook down, it opens it right up again from the start :f

Here's the code as I have it under callbackprocessor:

Code:
  Private Sub CallBackProcessor()

Dim Sheet As Object, returnsheet As Object, Ans As VbMsgBoxResult
       If Sheets("Callback").Range("L23").Text = "" Then GoTo 80
       If Sheets("Callback").Range("L23").Value <= Now() Then MsgBox "Please call back " & Sheets("Callback").Range("B23") & " from " & Sheets("Callback").Range("C23").Value & " on " & Sheets("Callback").Range("K23").Value
       If Sheets("Callback").Range("L23").Value <= Now() Then
           'place your code here or call your procedure from here

Sheets("Callback").Visible = True
           Set returnsheet = ActiveSheet

If Application.WindowState = xlMinimized Then Application.WindowState = xlMaximized

If GetForegroundWindow <> Application.hwnd Then
               SetForegroundWindow Application.hwnd
           End If

For Each Sheet In Sheets
               If Not Sheet.Name = "Callback" Then
               End If
           Next

Set Sheet = Nothing

Ans = MsgBox("Do you wish to remove this appointment from the callback queue?", vbYesNo, "CRM Callback")

If Ans = vbYes Then
               Range("C12").Select
               returnsheet.Select
           End If

End If

80  SchdlOnTime
  End Sub

Upvote 0
*bumpety bump*

Does anyone know why this causes my spreadsheet to automatically re-open again every time?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back