apply protecting sheet on "unlocked" cells

lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I selected the whole sheet then went to format cell-->protection--> unchecked "lock" cell. Which means all cells are unlocked now. Then When I tried to go to Review-->protect sheet and click ok (left everything as default). I am no more able to format any cell! formatting tools are grayed out. I can edit cells but not formatting any?

I thought that rule (preview-->protect sheet) apply on ONLY locked cells as it clearly mentioned "Protect worksheet and content of locked cells". Why I can not format them when they are Unlocked?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
The woding is unclear, it should be "protect worksheet AND content of locked cells"

Locking/unlocking a cell only effects protection of the contents, not formatting etc.

Depending on which version of Excel, when you protect a workSHEET, you have an option to allow the user to format cells.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. I think I am not making myself clear. Let me try again.
All my cells are unlocked. I thought applying that rule should not effect my cells because they are unlocked and in that rule it is clearly mentioned that the rule will apply on locked cells.
I am using 2010 and 2013. Thanks

Upvote 0
... I thought applying that rule should not effect my cells because they are unlocked and in that rule it is clearly mentioned that the rule will apply on locked cells...

Microsoft's terminology misled you.
The Allow Formattig Cells option must be checked when protecting a sheet if one wants to change the formatting of any cell, including unlocked cells.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back