Apply VLookup equivalent to large number of rows? (30k+ rows = 2minute load time)

alec123123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Context:
For a specific company, a worksheet contains the drugs they used in 2022. These drugs are not listed by label name, but by an identifier code. Another worksheet contains all possible drug identifier codes and the corresponding drug label name. I need to fill a column to contain the label names for each drug identifier code that the company has listed. The number of drugs listed for a given company can be anywhere from 1k to 70k. My current version takes around 2 minutes to load when processing 30k rows (30k drug identifier codes)

My attempt:
I created a loop that goes until the cell in the drug identifier column (of destination workbook) is empty. For each cell, I use the match function to find the row # where the identifier has been matched. Since I know the column that the drug label is in, I combine that with the row to return the drug label name value.

What is fastest method to do something like this? Create array and do comparison? Dictionary? I tried filling the VLookup function down the whole column, but it was very slow doing it 1 by 1. I'm not sure why its so smooth in excel, but takes forever if I use it in a macro.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Welcome to the forum
I would expect using the dictionary method combined with variant arrays to be the fastest. See my post on this thread which has a similar problem except they were trying to match 3 columns rather than 1 which you are.
Match function vba

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back