Applying a string variable to X number of visible cells from the top.

RockandGrohl

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I'm chopping down a phat (with a ph) list of some 500,000 clients in a sheet with filters, and then I have a variable in mind which I want to apply across another variable length of rows.

So Column BA is blank and I need to apply variable "ref" to the top "req" rows, which happens to be 475 in this instance.

Is there a way to take ref and apply it from the top all the way down until it gets to 475, then stops? For the meantime I'm going to do this the suckers way, by implementing a loop with a count that goes down visible cells, but I'm all ears if I can learn a better way to navigate and manipulate filtered data.

Everything I know at the moment tells me I should be defining a range, so in the interest of posterity, my defined range of ("AB2:AB" & LastrowDF) is called "TourPasteRng"

Cheers!

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Ok I just did 475 cells the suckers way, it took 10 minutes to calculate... y-y-y-y-y-yikes.

Upvote 0
A loop shouldn't take that long, unless something else is going on.
This is almost instant
VBA Code:
Sub RockandGrohl()
   Dim Cl As Range
   Dim i As Long

For Each Cl In Range("BA2:BA" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).SpecialCells(xlVisible)
      i = i + 1
      If i <= 475 Then Cl.Value = "Abc" Else Exit For
   Next Cl
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff,

Agreed, probably a wanton formula hiding somewhere - from a sheet passed to me and not one I made myself.

That looks exactly what I'm after, will give it a shot and let you know, thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff, worked beautifully and quickly as advertised. It takes 5 minutes to fill 80,000 rows out of 380,000 or so - I do a fair bit of looping in between the region criteria which I t hen use to get the required volumes.

One thing to note, I had to add a i=0 onto the end of the loop because the next time around it was keeping i as 475 or whatever. I guess I didn't mention strictly it would be in a loop and I would be performing the action multiple times as per the variable.

Anyway, works basically instantly, thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back