Applying an Expiration Date to a spreadsheet

itsme2

Board Regular
I was wondering if there was a way to assign something in the order of an evaluation time to a workbook.... Does that make sense... So if someone downloads and uses your work they can only do so for say 10 days after installation

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
That's a good question.

I've never tried, but I've wondered the same. The closest thing I can think of is setting some code to auto-close the workbook if it is past "xx/xx/xx" date

Or maybe some code to log the first time it is opened for any user that is not you and then count the time from that original date to the next time it is opened. Then once x amount of time has passed it will auto-close or do whatever.

Upvote 0
Here is something I just ran across but the bottom line here is correct... if you can't trust the folks you're doing the work for to pay you then with excel you're pretty much SOL and believe me it is tough finding reputable employers out there these days

Simply create a very hidden
name, Expired, referring to
Code:
=(1/(NOW()<DATE(2002,2,1)))

(for example), and
add Expired to all your formulas. Then hide your formulas while leaving
their results visible (check Hidden in the Protection tab in the Format
Cells dialog) before protecting the worksheet. Even this isn't that much of
a barrier since it's very easy to defeat password protection in Excel.

Now, I have what I have written copyright protected so now I am wondering if there is by means a way to silently send the creator an email message each and every time the workbook is opened.... that way when the falling out occurs and the "employer's" last words are, "well, can we get the password", or "can we still use your workbook..." and you've pretty much already gave them the "blow it out your ear', statement, each time the workbook is accessed you can have proof of their non-compliance

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back