Applying points to ranked cells

llcamino

I'm trying to rank a group of 5 cells and assign a value to them. For example Cells B26:B30 I would like to assign the values as follows in Cells C26:C30.

Numbers in Column B must stay in their current cell.

Lowest Number from Column B receives a 10 in Column C
Next lowest in B gets 7 in C
5 in C
3 in C
1 in C

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Sure it's possible!

Investigate the LARGE() function. That's an option that should give you the result you need. If you need help, ask; but see if you can do it on your own first.

Upvote 0
You could also use the Rank Function, to return the rank of each cell.

You then could use vlookup to get the points from a table, or you could use the choose function.

Lots of choices here, post back if you get stuck.

Upvote 0
llcamino said:
I'm trying to rank a group of 5 cells and assign a value to them. For example Cells B26:B30 I would like to assign the values as follows in Cells C26:C30.

Numbers in Column B must stay in their current cell.

Lowest Number from Column B receives a 10 in Column C
Next lowest in B gets 7 in C
5 in C
3 in C
1 in C

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Any possibilities of ties?

Upvote 0
All I can seem to get with the Large function is for it to replace which ever column with the largest in the group. Here is what I'm really looking to do. I am tracking players in a game, where the lowest raw score yields the highest points in the total score. In other words, imagine if they did it this way in golf for multiple events throughout the year. The best score (lowest) is rewarded with a 10 for that round, second lowest earns 7 and so on, 5,3,1. Player with the highest total score wins the championship. Column A is the player, B is the raw score, and I'd like C to automatically assign the total points.

Player1---72---10
Player2---73---7
Player3---76---5
Player4---80---3
Player5---90---1

Thanks

Upvote 0
llcamino said:
All I can seem to get with the Large function is for it to replace which ever column with the largest in the group. Here is what I'm really looking to do. I am tracking players in a game, where the lowest raw score yields the highest points in the total score. In other words, imagine if they did it this way in golf for multiple events throughout the year. The best score (lowest) is rewarded with a 10 for that round, second lowest earns 7 and so on, 5,3,1. Player with the highest total score wins the championship. Column A is the player, B is the raw score, and I'd like C to automatically assign the total points.

Player1---72---10
Player2---73---7
Player3---76---5
Player4---80---3
Player5---90---1

Thanks

How would you handle ties?

Upvote 0
Brian makes an excellent point about ties (something that I often neglect :rolleyes: ). It appears that they are indeed possible. What if the top five all had 75s? How would you do the scoring then?

Upvote 0
Hello llcamino.

If there are more than 5 players, you can use this. It will return a null value if the player is not in the top 5.

=IF(ISERROR(CHOOSE(RANK(B26,$B$26:$B$38,1),10,7,5,3,1)),"",CHOOSE(RANK(B26,$B$26:$B$38,1),10,7,5,3,1))

This will also give the higher of the two for ties. ie 2nd and 3rd lowest will both get 7 points.

Upvote 0
Ties would split the points equally.

If 2nd and 3rd tie, they would split 7 and 5 points, so 6 points each.
If 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tie, they would split 7, 5, and 3 points and each receive 5 pts.

Thanks...I'm working on it on my end, and learning, but I'm sure someone could get the answer to me faster than I can learn it.

Upvote 0
llcamino said:
Ties would split the points equally.

If 2nd and 3rd tie, they would split 7 and 5 points, so 6 points each.
If 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tie, they would split 7, 5, and 3 points and each receive 5 pts.

Thanks...I'm working on it on my end, and learning, but I'm sure someone could get the answer to me faster than I can learn it.

something like this?
AverageAssign.xls
ABCD
Sheet1

Formula in B1 and copied down,

=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$5,1)

Formula in C1 array entered and copied down,

=AVERAGE(IF($B$1:$B$5=B1,$D$1:$D$5,""))

Column D house points

Now if you got more than five scores, that's another step and formula, returning the nth scores. Do a search of the board for that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back