Architectural Help (Using Excel as Database)

mattaustin01

Board Regular
Hi All,

I'm trying to rework an existing project into something that will be easier to manage going forward. At the moment, several teams have their own individual spreadsheets which consolidate up to their team leaders. The downside is that each team's spreadsheet is slightly different in one manner or another, yet holds similar data. The problem is then getting appropriate reporting out of these spreadsheets as the information is held in several different workbooks across network drives.

What I would like to do is create a master database sheet, containing all the information, and then distribute workbooks to the teams that will essentially be "input" workbooks, pulling data from the master database and then amending/uploading any altered data.

I've done similar things before however performance is a little more critical on this project - does anyone know how I can have this link between the input and master spreadsheets? Opening, down/uploading, saving and closing the master database takes too long each time to do an update.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Why not use a DB? You can have users input into Access through Excel spreadsheets.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back