Arrange students by class

sfrydman

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for all your help. I am a middle school teacher and I use a website called IXL to assign homework each week. Students in all 3 of my classes have their own account but IXL does not have a feature whereby I can separate students into different classes; all three classes are lumped together and the names are listed alphabetically. IXL allows me to export the week's data to an excel spreadsheet for me to analyze any way I wish. Is there some way I can save a master list with each student's name and what class he/she is in so that excel can arrange the students quickly by class? It is kind of annoying to print it out and highlight names every week when I export the data from IXL. Thanks again for your help!

Note: It is not possible for me to do something clever like insert a student's class number into his/her name in IXL before exporting because the names have already been put into the system by other teachers and students keep their IXL usernames and passwords even when switching classes or moving to the next grade.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
My first thought without seeing any of your data and how it is formatted is the idea of using a VLOOKUP. You'd have a workbook with 2 to 4 sheets depending on if you wanted to separate each class as it's own sheet or group them all in one sheet but just in groupings by class. Then the last sheet would be where you would import your data from IXL. Using the VLOOKUP and the AUTOFILL feature you may be able to quickly organize the IXL data.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much! That works great. I had to use a concatenate as a middle step because some students have the same last name, but the vlookup function is exactly what I needed!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back