Array and Variable Help

nnicolazzi

Hello,

Goal = To have a combo box add an item for each cell in a range. I have a userform where a user can select a material, and based upon the material selected another combo box is loaded with color choices that they can select from. But I want this to happen automatically when I add or delete items from the color and material ranges. When I add a new material and color options I want the combo boxes to update without me having to add more code.

I have a sheet with ranges named for materials and color. The materials range is a list of different materials. The color ranges are named "material_Color" for each type of material. Basically a list of material and a list of colors for each material.

When a material is selected in cmb1 I want cmb2 to have a list of colors for that type of material. Those colors will come from the material_Color lists.

I've set up the ranges so that when an item is added (another color) it is part of the named range.

I've set up a variable that reads the value of cmb1

I've set up another variable that outputs the value of cmb1(material) and adds "_Color" (the material_Color should be the range of cells associated to my material_Color list)

I have a For Each loop that looks at each cell in my material_Color range and adds the item to my cmb.

For some reason when I run the code it outputs the name of my range into the cmb instead of adding what is in the cells in the range. (it fills the cmb with material_Color instead of the list of colors associated with material_Color.

I've added the code below as well as a link to a video so you can see whats going on. I feel like i'm close but I dont know why its outputting the name of the range instead of the contents in the range..

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!!!\

Private Sub cmbTopColor_Enter()<o:p></o:p>
Dim strCname(20) As Variant<o:p></o:p>
Dim srtTopMat As Variant<o:p></o:p>
strTopMat = cmbTopMat.Value<o:p></o:p>
'Set strCname = "[" & strTopMat & "_Color]"<o:p></o:p>
strCname(UBound(strCname)) = "[" & strTopMat &"_Color]"<o:p></o:p>
For Each Cell In strCname [Formica_Color]<o:p></o:p>
cmbTopColor.AddItem Cell<o:p></o:p>
Next Cell<o:p></o:p>
End Sub

<o:p></o:p>
https://www.screencast.com/t/mqaRQroa<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
When i say i want it to automatically I mean that I want to be able to edit my lists and have my userform update when its being used

Upvote 0
Private Sub cmbTopColor_Enter()<o:p></o:p>
Dim strCname(20) As Variant<o:p></o:p>
Dim srtTopMat As Variant<o:p></o:p>
strTopMat = cmbTopMat.Value<o:p></o:p>
'Set strCname = "[" & strTopMat & "_Color]"<o:p></o:p>
strCname(UBound(strCname)) = "[" & strTopMat &"_Color]"<o:p></o:p>
For Each Cell In strCname '[Formica_Color] NOTE: MY FOR LOOP WORKS IF I USE "[Formica_Color]" but does not when I use strCname.I set the strCname to output "[Formica_Color]" why arent strCname and Formica_Color the same?<o:p></o:p>
cmbTopColor.AddItem Cell<o:p></o:p>
Next Cell<o:p></o:p>
End Sub<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
This is a bit of a guess, but I think this is what you're trying to do?

Code:
Dim strCname As String

strCname = cmbTopMat.Text & "_Color"  'cmbTopMat.Text is "Formica"?

For Each Cell In Range(strCname)    'You have an Excel range called Formica_Color?
    cmbTopColor.AddItem Cell.Value
Next Cell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back