Array built from array and declaration trouble

SBF12345

I would like to populate the array TempSample using PriceData. PriceData is currently defined using a worksheet table. How can I convert the current PriceData variant into something that will behave like a traditional array? If I ReDim PriceData(1 to A, 1 to 3) as Variant, where A is equal to UBound(PriceData,1) I receive an error down the code "unable to get the correl property of the worksheetfunction class". How can I define the first array starting from a table on a worksheet?

Code:
Dim PriceData As Variant:           PriceData = Worksheets(DataSht).Range(samplerange)
For rr = 1 To NumObs

TempSample(rr, 1) = PriceData(ii + rr, 1) 
        TempSample(rr, 2) = PriceData(ii + rr, 2) 
        TempSample(rr, 3) = PriceData(ii + rr, 3)

Next rr

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Unless I'm misunderstanfing, simply:
Rich (BB code):
Dim PriceData As Variant
PriceData = Worksheets(DataSht).Range(samplerange).Value

Upvote 0
Or is this what you mean
Code:
Dim PriceData As Variant, TempSample As Variant
PriceData = Worksheets(DataSht).Range(samplerange).Value2
ReDim TempSample(1 To UBound(PriceData), 1 To 3)

Upvote 0
So the ".value" is the critical component in defining an array variant from a worksheet

In my add watch window I am looking at a bunch of empty values for ArrTemp(gg). Why would the below structure not work to load the array ArrTemp given the code above it? The ArrX array seems to load correctly.

Code:
For rr = 1 To NumObs        
        TempSample(rr, 1) = PriceData(ii + rr, 1) 
        TempSample(rr, 2) = PriceData(ii + rr, 2) 
        TempSample(rr, 3) = PriceData(ii + rr, 3) 

Next rr
 For gg = 1 To NumObs    
    ArrX(gg) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(X, gg, 2)
    ArrTemp(gg) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(TempSample, gg, 2)
    ArrX1(gg) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(X, gg, 3)
    ArrTemp1(gg) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(TempSample, gg, 3)

Next gg

Upvote 0
Assuming x is an array try
Code:
   For gg = 1 To NumObs
      ArrX(gg) = x(gg, 2)
      ArrTemp(gg) = TempSample(gg, 2)
      ArrX1(gg) = x(gg, 3)
      ArrTemp1(gg) = TempSample(gg, 3)
   Next gg

Upvote 0
Im watching variables ArrX and ArrTemp. ArrTemp is not loading. The watch window gives a value of "subscript out of range".

When I redim variants PriceData and TempSample I have:

Code:
ReDim TempSample(1 To NumObs, 1 To 3)
ReDim PriceData(1 To A, 1 To 3) As Variant

A is the upperbound on Array PriceData and NumObs is the UpperBound on Array X. These two arrays exist with different numbers of observations. Is there an approach I can use to load the TempSample array's with the PriceData Array despite the difference in number of observations (likely avoiding the "subscript out of range error")? In other words I want to extract subsets of the array PriceData and load them into TempSample.

Code:
 TempSample(rr, 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(PriceData, ii + rr, 1) 'Dimension 1 TempSample - Date of Temp Sample        TempSample(rr, 2) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(PriceData, ii + rr, 2) 'Dimension 2 TempSample - price of Temp Sample
        TempSample(rr, 3) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(PriceData, ii + rr, 3)

Upvote 0
Firstly there is no need to use Index, it just slows everything down, you can do it like I showed in post#5.
Secondly I have no idea what you are trying to do and just seeing a few lines of code doesn't code.

Upvote 0
The error is occurring on the line below:

Code:
DistanceMeasure = (1 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Correl(ArrX, ArrTemp)) * 100

I am fairly sure the error is occuring because the array "ArrTemp" is attempting to load using subscript values that are out of range. When I try to load the TempSample Array using the PriceData Array the elements of the two arrays are of different index values . TempSample(1 to NumObs,1 to 3) whereas PriceData(1 to A, 1 to 3), the NumObs and A variables are different index values creating a problem when TempSample tries to load 1 to NumObs and is met with PriceData which tries to load from values "ii +rr". "ii+rr" is a greater value than "rr" and is out of the range of the array TempSample. Even though the total number of values loaded is intended to be 1 to NumObs it looks like it doesn't want to load because the starting index value is greater than NumObs. In other words I need to grab a subset of the array, but am limited by the difference in index values for the two arrays. The bulk of the script is lowest on the post.

Code:
TempSample(rr, 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(PriceData,ii + rr, 1)            TempSample(rr, 2) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(PriceData,ii + rr, 2)

Code:
'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'X  define source data for total sample array   X
'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dim DataSht As String:              DataSht = ActiveSheet.Range("C4").value
Dim samplerange As String:          samplerange = ActiveSheet.Range("C5").value
Dim PriceData As Variant:           PriceData = Worksheets(DataSht).Range(samplerange).value

'X  define source data for target sample array  X

Dim DataRange As String:            DataRange = ActiveSheet.Range("C6").value
Dim X As Variant:                   X = Worksheets(DataSht).Range(DataRange).value

Dim A As Integer:                   A = UBound(PriceData, 1)     ' A is the population size and contains full set of test sets
Dim NumObs As Integer:              NumObs = UBound(X, 1)        ' NumObs is the sample size

Dim TempSample() As Variant:        ReDim TempSample(1 To NumObs, 1 To 3)
Dim ArrX() As Variant:              ReDim ArrX(1 To NumObs)
Dim ArrX1() As Variant:             ReDim ArrX1(1 To NumObs)
Dim ArrTemp() As Variant:           ReDim ArrTemp(1 To NumObs)
Dim ArrTemp1() As Variant:          ReDim ArrTemp1(1 To NumObs)
Dim DistanceMeasure As Integer
Dim DistanceMeasure1 As Integer

Dim ii As Integer:              ii = 1  'total sample length
Dim rr As Integer:              rr = 0
Dim jj As Integer:              jj = 5
Dim gg As Integer:              gg = 1

For ii = NumObs To A

For rr = 1 To NumObs

TempSample(rr, 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(PriceData,ii + rr, 1)
            TempSample(rr, 2) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(PriceData,ii + rr, 2)

Next rr

For gg = 1 To NumObs

ArrX(gg) = X(gg, 2)
        ArrTemp(gg) = TempSample(gg, 2)
        ArrX1(gg) = X(gg, 3)
        ArrTemp1(gg) = TempSample(gg, 3)

Next gg
DistanceMeasure = (1 - Application.WorksheetFunction.Correl(ArrX, ArrTemp)) * 100

Upvote 0
What happens if you remove this line
Code:

Upvote 0
That seems to have worked. In the add watch window values are not specified for ii but the arrays load and the results seem to check out. I did some long hand tests and it seems to be flowing...Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back