Array Formula Help

dmurphy1991

Hi, so i'm trying to include an array formula in my workbook (will eventually be automated), all the example i can find have data starting in a1, my data doesn't and i can't get the formula to work as it should. It's fine if i put my data into A1 and then eneter the formula, but i can't work out why the array range's row starting position affects the formula.

My array range is p7:Q24

yet if i move the array's range to P1:Q18 it works!?

My formula is:
{=IFERROR(INDEX($P$1:$Q$18,SMALL(IF($P$1:$P$18=W$3,ROW($P$1:$P$18)),ROW(1:1)),2),"")} - for the one that works.

But changing the array range just means it returns the wrong info

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I have multiple values matching the serach criteria in the same array range though, hence my use of an array. i actually just solved the issue myself by playing around, i thought it would be a ROW offset somewhere but i couldn't figure out where until now...

{=IFERROR(INDEX($P$7:$Q$24,SMALL(IF($P$7:$P$24=W$3,ROW($P$7:$P$24)-6),ROW(1:1)),2),"")}

the "-6" solved my issue, not 100% what the issue was but knew i had to offset a reference somewhere!

Upvote 0
the "-6" solved my issue, not 100% what the issue was but knew i had to offset a reference somewhere!

This version would be more robust, change the X2 references to the cell in which you place the formula:

=IFERROR(INDEX($P$7:$Q$24,SMALL(IF($P$7:$P$24=W$3,ROW($P$7:$P$24)-ROW($P$7)+1),ROWS($X$2:X2)),2),"")

Upvote 0
Even better is to replace -6 with -ROW($P$7)+1. This will make the fomula dynamic.
Otherwise I have my doubts about the ROW(1:1) part, because it looks to me that it will return always the same result.
That's why I suggested the VLOOKUP.
I would expect something like ROW(P7)-ROW($P7)+1

Upvote 0
This version would be more robust, change the X2 references to the cell in which you place the formula:

=IFERROR(INDEX($P$7:$Q$24,SMALL(IF($P$7:$P$24=W$3,ROW($P$7:$P$24)-ROW($P$7)+1),ROWS($X$2:X2)),2),"")

Would that not result in a circular reference as i'm referencing to the cell i'm entering the formula into?

Upvote 0
Would that not result in a circular reference as i'm referencing to the cell i'm entering the formula into?

You could try it ;) - but no, the ROWS() function won't result in a circular reference.

Upvote 0
Even better is to replace -6 with -ROW($P$7)+1. This will make the fomula dynamic.
Otherwise I have my doubts about the ROW(1:1) part, because it looks to me that it will return always the same result.
That's why I suggested the VLOOKUP.
I would expect something like ROW(P7)-ROW($P7)+1

The formula that i have works and can be dragged down and across - so it looks up varying strings in the array according to the row 3 reference. Just having trouble entering it into vba using stored ranges now:
Dim laddercount As Double
Dim x, y As Double
laddercount = Evaluate("COUNTA(R:R)-1")

For y = 19 To laddercount + 19
For x = 7 To x + laddercount
Cells(x, y).Select

Selection.FormulaArray = "=IFERROR(INDEX(arrayrange,SMALL(IF(ladderrange = Range(y&""$6""),ROW(ladderrange)-6),ROW(1:1)),2),"")"

Above is what i have but keep getting the run-time error 1004

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back