Array in merged cell & Chart cycle button

asmith75

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Context:
Hi everyone, I have recently been attempting to rework my expense tracker and personal budget in Excel. I am attempting to make my main page contain an actual budget function and feel like more of a "dashboard" than just a bunch of charts. Prior to revising, this was what I was working with:
View attachment 65266

As you can see, it is quite literally just a bunch of pie charts and their respective quantitative data. While this was effective, it certainly wasn't the prettiest way to view my data and spending information. The worksheet functions by manually inputting expense/revenue data into a table as they occur. Then I use formulas to sort and filter the data into organized arrays which are used to display data and create tables (such as: revenues by supplier, expenses by vendor, revenue by category, etc).

Fast forward to now and I have finished drafting out what I would like the dashboard to look like. After spending hours merging and organizing all the cells in the format I want, this is what I came up with:
06 July - Excel 5_28_2022 2_29_39 AM.png

In this "dashboard" all the light red colored lists are arrays, light blue lists are manually inputted values, and yellow lists are formulas. The ""buttons" would be used to switch charts and change relevant data in the corresponding cells to the right side. From what I've seen, using pivot charts would be able to achieve this "button" functionality (although admittedly I've never used pivot charts before and ran into problems before I could even attempt making them). I've attached an image containing a mock image of worksheet with actual data at the end of this post.

The problems started when I began inputting my arrays into the cells. I had absolutely no idea that excel strictly requires arrays to have a spill zone and thus does not allow them to work in merged cells. Having found this out, practically everything in the "dashboard" is useless.

Question:
Is there any workaround to place dynamic arrays in merged cells? Even better, is it at all possible to disable array spill range requirement? While we're on the topic would anyone be able to confirm that the "button" function works in the way I am thinking it does?

Thank you so much for reading my post. My apologies if I have left any important information out. It's been years since I've posted anything in a forum, and I am notoriously horrible at explaining problems involving excel. If I can provide any clarifying details or information, please let me know! I look forward to hearing any solutions, tips, or tricks anyone can come up with.

06 July - Excel 5_27_2022 11_42_06 PM.png

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
It has always been forbidden inserting array formulas in merged cells, I don't see how doing that with dynamic array.
An inefficient bypass could be, for example, inserting in E16 (E16 up to I16)
VBA Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(myArrayFormula,ROW(A1)),"")
This will insert the first row of your returned array
If you copy the formula down then you will get the second, the third, etc line; but then you will calculate the same formula N times.

Another option would be merging the cells also in vertical (and make a single big cell), then join the result of the array formula; for example
Code:
=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,'2nd'!$A$1:$A$10)
The cell should be formatted for automatic line breaks (I dont remember how this is called in English; it is in the Format Cells /Alignment tab)

But my suggestion is that you use a second sheet, free of frills and embellishments, for the calculation and then link the results to you nice looking daskboard.

I didn't understood the "buttons", so I am not able to comment on that portion; if that is a way for selecting wich data to show in pivot or graph, did you evaluate using "slicers"? For an "Introduction to slicer" I suggest you read this: Excel Slicers - Introduction, what are they, how to use them, tips, advanced concepts, interactive charts & reports using Slicers & Pivot Tables

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The general formula for the second option is
Code:
=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),TRUE,myArrayFormula)

And the format to check is "Wrap Text", in the Cell Format /Alignment tab

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back