Array issue with SUMIFS

lost_in_the_sauce

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a multiple criteria SUMIFS function

=SUMIFS(INDEX('data1'!$J:$U,0,MATCH(Sheet1!$M$2,Key!$B$14:$B$25,0)), 'data1'!$I:$I, "actual", 'data1'!$F:$F, "Expense", 'data1'!$A:$A, $A10)

I would like to have the last criteria search for matches from 2 cells, $A10 AND $B10.
I have tried

=SUMIFS(INDEX('data1'!$J:$U,0,MATCH(Sheet1!$M$2,Key!$B$14:$B$25,0)), 'data1'!$I:$I, "actual", 'data1'!$F:$F, "Expense", 'data1'!$A:$A, $A10 OR $B10) and the result was 0.

I have tried

=SUMIFS(INDEX('data1'!$J:$U,0,MATCH(Sheet1!$M$2,Key!$B$14:$B$25,0)), 'data1'!$I:$I, "actual", 'data1'!$F:$F, "Expense", 'data1'!$A:$A, {$A10,B10})
and
=SUM(SUMIFS(INDEX('data1'!$J:$U,0,MATCH(Sheet1!$M$2,Key!$B$14:$B$25,0)), 'data1'!$I:$I, "actual", 'data1'!$F:$F, "Expense", 'data1'!$A:$A, {$A10:$B10})

only to get an error "There was a problem with this formula - Not trying to type a formula? I also tried ctrl-shift-enter but it makes the entire formula an array and still returns 0.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
=SUM(SUMIFS(INDEX('data1'!$J:$U,0,MATCH(Sheet1!$M$2,Key!$B$14:$B$25,0)), 'data1'!$I:$I, "actual", 'data1'!$F:$F, "Expense", 'data1'!$A:$A, {$A10:$B10})
That one looks right, but you need to remove the {} from the criteria.

Upvote 0
I get values for this function with either $A10 or $B10 after removing the {} but $A10:$B10 returns a value of 0

Upvote 0
How about this?

=SUMIFS(INDEX('data1'!$J:$U,0,MATCH(Sheet1!$M$2,Key!$B$14:$B$25,0)), 'data1'!$I:$I, "actual", 'data1'!$F:$F, "Expense", 'data1'!$A:$A, $A10,'data1'!$A:$A,$B10)

Upvote 0
I get values for this function with either $A10 or $B10 after removing the {} but $A10:$B10 returns a value of 0
Noting from your other thread that you don't have the dynamic array update, try array confirming it with Ctrl Shift Enter, or use SUMPRODUCT instead of SUM.

@alz that would not work, it would look for cells in column A that contain a match for both A10 and B10, given that a single cell can only be equal to one thing or the other but never both, it will always return zero.

Reactions: alz
Upvote 0
Solution
Noting from your other thread that you don't have the dynamic array update, try array confirming it with Ctrl Shift Enter, or use SUMPRODUCT instead of SUM.

@alz that would not work, it would look for cells in column A that contain a match for both A10 and B10, given that a single cell can only be equal to one thing or the other but never both, it will always return zero.

SUMPRODUCT - That did it. I should be able to expand the last row ($A10:$B10) to something like ($A10:F$10) and any empty cells shouldn't interfere as they would produce values of zero?

Alz - was returning a zero sum again

Upvote 0
I should be able to expand the last row ($A10:$B10) to something like ($A10:F$10) and any empty cells shouldn't interfere as they would produce values of zero?
An empty cell in A10:F10 will be matched to any cell in Data!A:A that contains 0 (if any exist). Subsequently, a value in J:U of the data sheet will be included in the total if A:A contains 0.

Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back