Array's In Excel

skay4242

I am attempting to sort 3 numbers and return the lowest non zero number. The following formula works: {=MIN(IF((D5:D7)>0,(D5:D7)))}

However the location of the numbers D5:D7 are scattered and not next to each other. Is there a way to use arrays with multiple references that are separated? ie {D5,D7,E2}

Aladin,

Did you do that to me by any chance?

Absolutely not!

I was a little bit upset with the smiley when I read Your reply because I thought You would give me (and other as well) a clever formula (like You usually do :wink: when You pointed out the error in the first attempt.

(BTW, I dislike that smiley particular because it does not look very friendly to me)

Nevertheless, I've provided another solution which You may take a look into and comment.

For the OP's part it´s more complex than above - The values is on different sheets and as far as I know arrays can't handle this unless we use UDF.

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Nested if is not much quicker than UDF which is much too slow. I had tried that originally. It appears that Excel does not allow non-adjacent array formation. It is an interesting problem all the same ...

Upvote 0
Dennis,

Your formula identical to mine at the top (except for defined name ref) returns #Value on my version of excel (97). Perhaps they have fixed this issue in 2000.

Thanks

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-23 15:22, skay4242 wrote:
Nested if is not much quicker than UDF which is much too slow. I had tried that originally. It appears that Excel does not allow non-adjacent array formation. It is an interesting problem all the same ...

Anything yet on method B? Don't worry about EVAL, etc. They are as fast as a built-in functions.

Upvote 0
B is the best solution I am sure. However, as with others I am on an office build that has no admin rights for users. Using an add-in would require due diligence by the powers that be. Also need to apply to other machines. Hence I am hesitant to try to go down that path.

Upvote 0
skay4242,

Funny, I´m using swedish versions of 97 SR-2B, 2000 SR-1 and XP SP-2 and it runs as expected.

Is it possible for You to distribute the Add-in Morefunc with Your workbook?

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
[...] I thought You would give me (and other as well) a clever formula [...]
[...]

Dennis,

Since we're talking about the 3 nonconsecutive cells, how about...array-entered

=IF(STDEV(Array)=0,"",IF(SMALL(Array,1)<>0,SMALL(Array,1),IF(SMALL(Array,2)<>0,SMALL(Array,2),IF((SMALL(Array,3)<>0),SMALL(Array,3)))))

where Array refers to those 3 cells.

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back