Ask sheet to take values from the copy of a sheet

2_nisia

Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have an excel workbook that has some hidden sheets. I have linked some cells of sheet B to some cells of sheet A.
So when someone fills in some specific cells of sheet A, then Sheet B will be updated automatically.

The problem is that this workbook is shared with other people. And to make sure that the formulas will not be ruined, the users get a copy of sheet A and a copy of sheet B to fill in. The sheets are also renamed, so the names are the following:
Sheet A is originally named Matrix
Sheet B is originally named Taks_NER

The user is asked to register a name, so he picks the name "House". The Sheet A will get copied and that copy will be named House, and sheet B will also be copied and the copy will be named Taks_House.

So my question is: Is there a way to tell sheet Taks_House, to copy the cells not from sheet A (Matrix) but from the copy of sheet A (House)?
The problem will coding might be, that I dont know what name the user will pick.

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I am not clear on how many users will be creating sheets in the same workbook.
Is it more than 1 ?
What are you going to do with those sheets ?

You can check for sheet name starting with Taks_ which doesn't end in NER or Taks_ which are visible.
This would pick up Taks_House. From that you can get House as the new name for Matrix.

There are other options but we would need an answer to the above 3 question.

Upvote 0
Just to get the discussion started, this has 2 options one relying on excluding NER (option 1 commented out) and one relying on excluding Hidden sheets.

VBA Code:
Sub FindSheet()

Dim wsCurr As Worksheet
    Dim wb As Workbook
    Dim wsNewMatrix As Worksheet, NewMatrixName As String

Set wb = ActiveWorkbook

For Each wsCurr In wb.Worksheets
        Debug.Print wsCurr.Name
        ' Option 1
        ' If Left(wsCurr.Name, 4) = "Taks" And Right(wsCurr.Name, 3) <> "NER" Then
        ' OR
        ' Option 2
        If Left(wsCurr.Name, 4) = "Taks" And wsCurr.Visible Then
            NewMatrixName = Mid(wsCurr.Name, InStr(wsCurr.Name, "_") + 1)
            'Debug.Print NewMatrixName
            MsgBox "New Matrix Sheet Name --> " & NewMatrixName
        End If

Next wsCurr

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
I am not clear on how many users will be creating sheets in the same workbook.
Is it more than 1 ?
What are you going to do with those sheets ?

You can check for sheet name starting with Taks_ which doesn't end in NER or Taks_ which are visible.
This would pick up Taks_House. From that you can get House as the new name for Matrix.

There are other options but we would need an answer to the above 3 question.
Each user will download my excel file in the personal computer, so its gonna be 1 user at a time at 1 excel file.

In that excel file, they have a choice to make: what is their building type.
It can be a house, an office, a shop. So based on this choice, my VBA code goes and finds the relevant matrix for house, office or shop, it unhides it -> makes a copy and names that copy-> hides the original matrix again

Then, on the (copy and renamed) matrix, they go and fill in some cells, e.g. size of building, number of occupants etc.

So I want the taks_House to be linked to that copied tab of the matrix, but since I have gave them the option to rename it, it is difficult for me to link the two tabs now cause i dont know what kind on name they will choose. I also considered not to give them the option or rename it, but it will still create a copy of taks_NER and automatically rename it as taks_NER(1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back