Asking for query to total up numbers by criteria from multiple fields

bravura

Board Regular
Good morning. this is a simplified table and two examples of outputs, one of which is enough. I'm trying to do sql (or design view) in Access to count cntrs on a Route (RteCode1). The "Acceptable Result" would require me to do a pivot table afterwards, no issue with that, but ideally i'd like the query to give me "Ideal Result". Please provide sample sql (pseudo code acceptable) or advise how i go about this. thanks.

Result tells me how many Cntrs will be on aroute. For example, on Ann, second rotation, there will be 40 Cntrs | for Carl, there will be 75 on it's first rotation.

1606835119765.png

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
After a quick glance I suppose you could do this with UNION queries, but when that type of query is required for a solution, it's almost always because the tables design is wrong and that is the case here. You've designed tables as you would a spreadsheet and that is a problem for Access. You should have one field each for rteCode and rteName. What you have is referred to as repeating fields. The worst part about that is that you have values (e.g. B1) in multiple fields and to find all B1 values that might exist in a horizontal layout is a pitb which is exponentially magnified by the number of repeating fields.

Perhaps you ought to research db normalization and then fix your schema. Access data should be tall, not wide. Excel is usually wide, not tall.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back