Assessing Blank Cells That Are Not Actually Blank

Amosbroker

I have a worksheet where I pull values in one column and assess them in the column next to them.

First column:
contains my unique ID that is my VLOOKUP value (looking up data from another tab)

Second column:
contains gender referred to in formula that is assessed

Third Column Formula:
VLOOKUP(A2,sixteen,10,FALSE)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Fourth Column Formula:
IFERROR(IF(AND(B2="Male",C2>40),"High",IF(C2="","Unknown",IF(AND(B2="Female",C2>35),"High","Healthy"))),"Unknown")

<tbody>
</tbody>

My formula works except for the blank expression. Due to the formula being in the cell, it is not actually blank but appears to be so. How do I incorporate no data = Unknown in to my formula? Right now, the blanks come back as high when assessed through my formula.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
You may have to add a third comparison to the AND() portion. C2<>""

I learned this the other day, single text characters have a number value, and the text blank "" returned by your formula is, in this case, greater than 35.

Play with it a little and you'll see how it works. Type any alpha character in a cell, and then test that cell vs 0. Ex: =A1>0 should return true for any single alpha character in A1.

Upper case A-Z is in the range of 65-90 and lower case a-z is in the range of 97-122. I'm not sure exactly what number the text blank is though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks dreid! I ended up just adding another comparison to the formula so that everything that wasn't clearly defined would fall in to the unknown category. For my greater than part of statement, I also added a less than 8000. I just used a random high number.

Upvote 0
You could also test the length of C2, and you could shorten the formula slightly by combining the 2 AND functions into an OR:
PHP:
=IF(LEN(C2),IF(OR(AND(B2="Male",C2>40),AND(B2="Female"),C2>35),"High","Healthy"),"Unknown")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back