Assign Macro to Shape Problem

bisel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a problem that I am hoping someone has a simple answer to ...

I have assigned macros to some simple shapes. For example, I use a simple shape of the question mark icon in a blue circle to indicate to the user to click to get some help on a topic. Today, after starting my PC, if I click on a shape I get an error message ... "Cannot run the macro "macro name". The macro may not be available ... "

But if I run the macro from the VBA code ... it runs fine. I tried renaming the macro and assigned a different macro, but to no avail. I have tried to insert a new shape and assign an existing macro and I get the same message. It appears that Excel is not allowing me to assign a macro to a shape now.

I went back to a prior version of the Excel workbook (from mid 2021) and there is no problem. Only with versions that I created since above August of this year. And only today. Yesterday, everything was working fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
A quick update ... If I open the workbook on a different PC, there is no problem. Seems to be related to this PC. Do I have to reinstall MS Office or is there some quick fix?

Steve

Upvote 0
Another update. If I create a blank new workbook and then create a simple macro, insert a shape and then assign that simple macro to the shape ... it works fine. There is something within my other workbook that is preventing me from doing the same.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Upvote 0
I have another update. I was able to re-enable running macros assigned to shapes.

Trust Center Settings, Macro Settings, check the box, "Enable Excel 4.0 macros ... ", click OK
Save the file
Close Excel
Re-open the same file, and now it works.

Any idea why that should be?

Regards,

Steve

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't know if there's any connection, but if you are using Microsoft 365, Microsoft is working on disabling Excel 4.0 macros by year end for MS 365 users. It may be some steps in that direction are underway and .......
Microsoft to disable Excel 4.0 macros, one of the most abused Office features

EDIT: Forgot to include this link:
Restrict usage of Excel 4.0 (XLM) macros with new macro settings control
It may b
Don't know if there's any connection, but if you are using Microsoft 365, Microsoft is working on disabling Excel 4.0 macros by year end for MS 365 users. It may be some steps in that direction are underway and .......
Microsoft to disable Excel 4.0 macros, one of the most abused Office features

EDIT: Forgot to include this link:
Restrict usage of Excel 4.0 (XLM) macros with new macro settings control
On my copy of Excel, there is the option to allow Excel 4.0 macros. Enabled it and thing work now.

Upvote 0
It may b

On my copy of Excel, there is the option to allow Excel 4.0 macros. Enabled it and thing work now.
That's why I'm giving you a heads up - things may change if/when Microsoft disables Excel 4.0 macros for MS 365 users.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back