assign number value to letter and sum with other numbers

dgpete

Hi all,

Newbie here so be gentle! :)
I have searched a lot but found nothing exactly like what I need. I thought it was simple but I can't get a IF, SUMIF or SUM of anything to work so far. I know it's me so i need HELP!

for an archery scoring spreadsheet I have a number of entries in a row (in the example below it is five scores) with values from 0 to 5 (whole numbers only). I also need to enter some of the 5s as an X for a hit in the X ring that still scores a 5, so a row would look like this:
row A B C D E F
score 5 X 5 X 4 24 (SUM of A1:E1 where "X" = 5)

no other letter values will be used, just the X=5, every other score will be a number from 0 to 5.

Then I need another cell that totals the numerical count of Xs for that ROW so for the above sample the cell would read "2".

Clear as mud?
Are there simple formulas that can do this?

Thanks MUCH!

Doug

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi all,

Newbie here so be gentle! :)
I have searched a lot but found nothing exactly like what I need. I thought it was simple but I can't get a IF, SUMIF or SUM of anything to work so far. I know it's me so i need HELP!

for an archery scoring spreadsheet I have a number of entries in a row (in the example below it is five scores) with values from 0 to 5 (whole numbers only). I also need to enter some of the 5s as an X for a hit in the X ring that still scores a 5, so a row would look like this:
row A B C D E F
score 5 X 5 X 4 24 (SUM of A1:E1 where "X" = 5)

no other letter values will be used, just the X=5, every other score will be a number from 0 to 5.

Then I need another cell that totals the numerical count of Xs for that ROW so for the above sample the cell would read "2".

Clear as mud?
Are there simple formulas that can do this?

Thanks MUCH!

Doug

Try...

=SUM(A1:E1)+COUNTIF(A1:E1,"x")*5

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back