Assigning a column to a variable and using that variable in a formula

eddyble

I'm looking to assign a variable to the final column in a sheet (column changes based on data) and use this variable in a formula to reference the column.

VBA Code:
Dim x As Range

'this should assign x as the range variable for the final column
Cells(3, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Select 
ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Select
Set x = Selection

'inserting the following formula into some other cell

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=LARGE(" & x & ",2)"

This returns a type mismatch :(. Ideally i want my x variable to represent some column range (e.g P:P).

Can anyone help me out?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I don't know how you would do that with the Formula-Large function-variable approach, however, if your aim is simply to put the second largest value (I note you use 2 as the second argument in your formula) then the following will do that.

VBA Code:
Sub Column_Variable()
    Dim lc As Long
    lc = Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , 2, 2).Column
    ActiveCell.Value = Application.Large(Columns(lc), 2)
End Sub

Upvote 0
I don't know how you would do that with the Formula-Large function-variable approach, however, if your aim is simply to put the second largest value (I note you use 2 as the second argument in your formula) then the following will do that.

VBA Code:
Sub Column_Variable()
    Dim lc As Long
    ActiveCell.Value = Application.Large(Columns(lc), 2)
End Sub
Appreciate the response, that would work - it's just that i need the range reference elsewhere as well for different formulas

Upvote 0
Okay, found a solution - but it's annoyingly awful (I apologise in advance to future readers)

VBA Code:
x = Split(Cells(3, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Address, "$")(1) 'this stores the letter of the column as x (let's say it's y for example)
x = x & ":" & x 'this converts x variable into y:y (basically a reference to column y)

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=LARGE(" & x & ",2)" 'annoyingly, this doesn't work. This results in =LARGE(y:(y),2) For the life of me i cannot tell why the extra bracket around the second y appears.
'The x variable works exactly as you would expect until it enters a formula and blows up. I've tried all manner of things to no success.

Anyway... i ended up just assigning x to some donor cell and using the INDIRECT function to reference the range. Awful i know.

Upvote 0
Okay, found a solution - but it's annoyingly awful (I apologise in advance to future readers)

VBA Code:
x = Split(Cells(3, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Address, "$")(1) 'this stores the letter of the column as x (let's say it's y for example)
x = x & ":" & x 'this converts x variable into y:y (basically a reference to column y)

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=LARGE(" & x & ",2)" 'annoyingly, this doesn't work. This results in =LARGE(y:(y),2) For the life of me i cannot tell why the extra bracket around the second y appears.
'The x variable works exactly as you would expect until it enters a formula and blows up. I've tried all manner of things to no success.

Anyway... i ended up just assigning x to some donor cell and using the INDIRECT function to reference the range. Awful i know.
Fair enough. If you were interested (and I realise this doesn't fit your needs - but I did it anyway for fun) here's a UDF that works in any cell you type it. Just leave the argument empty - simply type =GetLarge2() in any cell.

VBA Code:
Public Function GetLarge2()
    Application.Volatile
    Dim lc As Long, x
    x = Application.Large(Columns(lc), 2)
    GetLarge2 = x
End Function

Upvote 0
Get rid of the R1C1

Rich (BB code):
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=LARGE(" & x & ",2)"

.. or you could try this instead

VBA Code:
Dim x As Long

x = Cells(3, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=LARGE(C" & x & ",2)"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
The code in the marked post fails (#4).

The problem in the original code is using the Select method to define the x range variable. So, the ActiveCell is not the actually intended cell that the result function is supposed to be entered via code.

The actual solution to this problem is how @Peter_SSs explained it as the alternative code at #6. Therefore, the solution post has been accordingly switched to help future readers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back