Assigning colors to repetitive numbers and more

bansche123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear Forum Users,

I would like to kindly ask for help regarding creating a formula or formulas.

As you can see in the file there are a over a dozen tables with 5 numbers in each row in them (the numbers are identical in each of the 14 tables). You can also spot cells designated R1, R2…, R14.

R stands for Repetition, the number next to the R describes the row to which the comparison is made in order to find repetitive numbers.

Next to, for example, R1 in the K column you’ve got the total number of given repetitions in each row — 100% accurate you can check this way whether your formula is right.

Examples: R1 means that A2;E2 is compared to A3;E3, R2 means that A2;E2 is compared to A4;E4, R3 means that A2;E2 is compared to A5;E5 and so on until R14

Let's stay at R1 at first:
The aim is to look for numbers in A2;E2 which repeated themselves in A3;E3. In this specific case none did, but if you compare A4;E4 to A5;E5, there are two numbers in A4;E4 that repeat themselves in A5;E5. Those numbers shall be identified by the formula.

But that’s not all. Next to the table with the numbers there is a representation of the repetitions in which the value 1 is assigned to the numbers that have repeated themselves and the value 0 marks the numbers that did not repeat themselves. As you can see the zeros and ones are in the same order as the numbers are in a given row of the table. Essentially that is the whole point of the formula.

Very important! R2-14 are slightly different
The core idea stays the same, but the formulas for R2-R14 need to include a mechanism that would scan the whole table and eliminate duplicates in repetitions.

Example: R4, in the 16h row: AK16;AO16, so you go 4 rows down and check for repetitions,
In AK16;AO16 you’ve got 7, 13, 18, 20, 32
In AK20;AO20 you’ve got 7, 19, 20, 33, 34

You see that 7 repeats itself and 20 repeats itself, but in the AU column which is 100% proofread you see that there should be only 1 repetition, so how do you determine whether 7 or 20 is the right one?

Basically, it’s necessary to realize that 7 was already taken into consideration as a repetition in R1, so that leaves you with the 20. So, summing up only the latest repetitions shall count, that is why a mechanism that would scan the whole table and eliminate duplicates in repetitions is needed for R2-R14.

In order to demonstrate everything I have described in this post I prepared this file having done everything by hand to give an illustration of what I have been talking about. I hope it helps to understand what I meant.

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• 0&1.jpg
    0&1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 20

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Frankly, nobody will be able to help here because the picture is far too small. Volunteers on this Forum require actual data to experiment upon and no one will bother to try to type all that into Excel. So kindly upload some sample data together with expected outcome and someone can help you with your project. Use the XL2BB add-in available.

Upvote 0
I wanted to attach the excel file, but it said I couldn't, now I also only see "Upload image"

Upvote 0
@bansche123
While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules). This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back