Dim MyDB As DAO.Database
Dim MyRS As DAO.Recordset
Dim strSQL As String
Dim strRptName As String
Dim count As Integer
strRptName = "PT Exports"
strSQL = "Select [IDCode] From CorePData;"
Set MyDB = CurrentDb
Set MyRS = MyDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenForwardOnly)
    With MyRS

Do While Not MyRS.EOF
        DoCmd.OpenReport strRptName, acViewPreview, , "[ProductCode]='" & ![ProductCode] & "'"
        DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, strRptName, acFormatRTF, "C:\Users\userid\my documents\PT\Reports\" & ![ProductCode] & "_NDXPublicationAttributes.doc"
        DoCmd.Close acReport, strRptName, acSaveNo
        .MoveNext
        Loop

End With

MyRS.Close
Set MyRS = Nothing
End Sub
I am generating an SQL report which has a ton of trailing zero's and I was wondering if there was a way to eliminate those at the presentation layer. I read it's a big no-no to do that at the Database level (SQL) Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This code copies the table and coverts each record into an RTF document. I am not against this going into an CSV or XLSX file, but the big piece is getting the leading zero's to slim down to 4 decimal places to the right. (.0000) no more than that. FYI this is in Access 2010

One problem appears to be that you reference a field called [ProductCode]:
Code:
        DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, strRptName, acFormatRTF, "C:\Users\userid\my documents\PT\Reports\" & [COLOR="#FF0000"]![ProductCode][/COLOR] & "_NDXPublicationAttributes.doc"

But there is no such field in your query (there is only [IDCode]):
Code:
strSQL = "Select [IDCode] From CorePData;"

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Both should be ProductCode. My apologies, it has been changed. It is still receiving errors when I run it. Do I have to add additional syntax to the first piece of code you posted to run the script?>

Upvote 0
Not sure. I suggest your post your code as it is now. What is the error message?
ξ

Upvote 0
HTML:
Private Sub Command0_Click()
Dim MyDB As DAO.Database
Dim MyRS As DAO.Recordset
Dim strSQL As String
Dim strRptName As String
Dim count As Integer

strRptName = "PTile Exports"
'strSQL = "Select [ProductCode] From CorePData;"
strSQL = "Select Format([ProductCode],"#.0000) From CorePData;"
Set MyDB = CurrentDb
Set MyRS = MyDB.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenForwardOnly)
    With MyRS

Do While Not MyRS.EOF
        DoCmd.OpenReport strRptName, acViewPreview, , "[ProductCode]='" & ![ProductCode] & "'"
        DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, strRptName, acFormatRTF, "C:\Users\userid\my documents\PT\Reports\" & ![ProductCode] & "_FileName.doc"
        DoCmd.Close acReport, strRptName, acSaveNo
        .MoveNext
        Loop

End With

MyRS.Close
Set MyRS = Nothing
End Sub
Thank you for hanging in there with me. I am trying to prevent the decimals from getting out of control and try to control that at this presentation layer. The raw SQL is pulling a ton of decimal places.

Upvote 0
This line is not right:
Code:
strSQL = "Select Format([ProductCode],"#.0000) From CorePData;"

It should be:
Code:
strSQL = "Select Format([ProductCode],""#.0000"") From CorePData;"

Upvote 0
X sorry for just getting back. It now seems to get hung up here
HTML:
I am getting a run time error, stating Item not found in this collection. Thanks again for you time.

Upvote 0
Post your complete code again, now that you've edited it again. You should do that every time - the problem is probably your SQL statement but I can't be sure because I don't know what happened to it after your last correction.
ξ

Upvote 0
X maybe my approach is wrong. The problem is I am importing data from MS SQL Server to Excel. In SQL the decimals are going out over 9 places. Well when I bring it into Excel I am having to convert the range to Text or else a lot of rows drop out into the Access error catching table. If I turn to text it will bring it into Access without errors. I'm thinking that maybe my problem. Any thoughts on where I should tackle this problem? At the database level when I write my SQL or application layer with Excel / Access? Any thoughts would be great. I am just trying not to reinvent the wheel here. Thanks again X Ill post the code in an hour or so. I gotta run to a meeting.

Upvote 0
Try round as noted above. That should work in SQL server or in Access. You can/should also consider just formatting the report field in the report. That's usually as easy as right clicking on the field in design view and choosing a format. If however, the fields are being imported as text, then you can't round or format them (well, maybe you can format them like numbers - I'm not sure). So possibly you want to convert them back to numbers and then format them as numbers.

That said you should have no problems with importing SQL server number data. So there may be more problems here. Most likely, you have data in the range that isn't numeric. Which means your data is not clean. Garbage in, garbage out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back