Assistance with SUMPRODUCT function

markytem

Hi all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
This is my first post, as I’ve been using this site as a valuable resource for a number of months, and now need to ask for some assistance.<o:p></o:p>
I have created a number of sheets, each with similar columns (date, topic, mechanism, host etc.). I have also created a summary sheet with a series of drop-lists where a corresponding column performs a COUNTIF:<o:p></o:p>
=COUNTIF('Briefings'!$F$3:$F$95,B5)
What I’d like to do on the summary page is allow a conditional element, i.e. an AND statement (Where Topic is ‘Sales’ and Company is ‘Microsoft’). To do this I’m trying to use a SUMPRODUCT function: <o:p></o:p>
=SUMPRODUCT(--('Briefings'!$D$3:$D$999=D11),--('Briefings'!$G$3:$G$999=D12))<o:p></o:p>
This formula works when I test it manually, but I’m having difficulty in building the actual formula; <o:p></o:p>
I tried to use a series of validation cells, named ranges and then concatenate. This however returns the value as TEXT and I am unable to use it as a formula.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Can anyone provide me any assistance in the syntax that I could use for SUMPRODUCT by using references to cells, rather than using literals as per my concatenation?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Many thanks,<o:p></o:p>
Mark<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi Aladin,
Thanks for the prompt response.

Yes, I am seeing the formula rather than the result. If I copy the formula cell and paste special (value) I get the correct formula, but when I press return <RETURN>I get this:
=CONCATENATE("=SUMPRODUCT(--(",#REF!,"=","""",#REF!,"""","),--(",#REF!,"=","""",#REF!,"""","))")

Mark
p.s. Should've mentioned this is Excel 2010

Upvote 0
You ought to take a look at the =INDIRECT() function, as I think that may be of help in this instance. It allows you to create strings that represent cell addresses and then use these to refer to the values in the actual cells represented

EG

if Cell A1 contains 99

Cell B1 contains "A1"

then

=indirect(B1)

returns 99

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip Weaver.
However, using INDIRECT(H32) returns a '#REF!' error. I'm assuming this is because the concatenation is text rather than a true formula?

Mark

Upvote 0
Actually, I think 'INDIRECT' is the only way to be able to construct the elements of SUMPRODUCT without getting an error - Thanks for the guidance Weaver.

I think I managed to crack it with:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT("'Briefings'!"&$B$33)=D11),--(INDIRECT("'Brefings'!"&$E$33)=D12))
  • Where B33 is a complex IF statement returning column ranges based upon drop-list
  • Where D11 = Variable populated from drop-list
  • Where E33 is a complex IF statement returning column ranges based upon drop-list
  • Where D12 = Variable populated from drop-list

Upvote 0
Glad you got there in the end - I figured it would take too long to learn enough info to fully solve it for you, so I did the next best thing and handed you the fishing line, so to speak.

Upvote 0
Thanks Weaver.
Next step is trying to work out why one selection returns a #REF! error, and another returns a #VALUE! error; would that be reserved characters such as a hypenated name?

Mark

Upvote 0
Thanks Weaver.
Next step is trying to work out why one selection returns a #REF! error, and another returns a #VALUE! error; would that be reserved characters such as a hypenated name?

Mark
We'd need to see the formulas in B33 and E33 to see what they're doing.

Upvote 0
Hi T. Valko,
The #REF! error was due to a misplaced ! character, so that error has gone.
The #VALUE! error was due to the end range reference field being blank.
Happy days!

However, another issue has risen!
How can I SUMPRODUCT with multivalue cells, ie, Col E could have multiple attendees:
David Smith
Fred Jones
John Dole

I can get a summary count by using the following:
=COUNTIF('Events'!$E$3:$E$93,("*"&H4&"*"))

Is it should be possible to use this in SUMPRODUCT/INDIRECT?

Thank you all.

Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back