Associating a value with a cell

rider_01

Sup everyone, I know the basics of Excel but I have an issue that is beyond my knowledge. I need to have a value populate a cell and change depending on what value I select in the first cell.

Here is a picture to clarify

344aykw.jpg

In the "bin size" column I am going to have A, B, C, and D. Each one of these letters I need to have a corresponding value that shows up in the "bin width" column. For example when I select or put in A I need 4.13 to show up in the width column. When I put B in I need 6 to show up in the other column. When I put in C I need 11 to show up in the associated column.

What is the easiest way to do this because I have to mix and match these letters for almost 1000 cells and I don't want to have to go type in the bin width every time. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
=VLOOKUP(X2,B:D,3,0)

where X2 is equal to a value like A; column B houses bin sizes, and column D bin widths.

Is this what you are after?

Upvote 0
=VLOOKUP(X2,B:D,3,0)

where X2 is equal to a value like A; column B houses bin sizes, and column D bin widths.

Is this what you are after?

I think that is close but I am still not getting it formatted correctly. I can't explain it well so let's try this
opaj53.jpg

The table circled in blue are the values I want to use. A-D are the bin size and the column beside it are the bin widths. The column circled in green is where I want to type A, B, C or D(bin size) and when I put in the letter I want the corresponding value (A-4.13, B-6, C-11, D-22) to populate in the same row where the red circle is.

For example in cell F10 when I type C I want the value of 11 to show up in H10. Then go back and erase C in cell F10 and type in A and the value of 4.13 to show up in H10. Thanks for the help, Youtube videos were a bust lol.

Upvote 0
That did it, awesome thanks!!!! I don't know enough about excel but what made it work in that formula compared to your first? Is it the $ or what? I am not sure how to understand that formula for Vlookup.

You are welcome. The first one was generic; the second specific, that is, the generic one adapted to your specific layout.

VLOOKUP(X2,B:D,3,0) --> VLOOKUP(F10,$F$4:$G$7,2,0)

That is:

X2 --> F10

$B:$D ---> $F$4:$G$7

3 --> 2, i.e. the result to be had is in the 2d column.

0 --> 0, i.e. exact match required.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back