Associating database updated cells with user entered cells

craigyg

Board Regular
They should call you Dr. Excel. Your posts have been very helpful to me at work! Anyway, here it is:

The Situation:
I have several spreadsheets I created at my job to track different values associated with courses that my company runs. The typical layout is a column with the course name, one with enrollment numbers, one with course status, etc. The columns on the left side of the spreadsheet update through a query to our database. The columns on the right side of the spreadsheet are filled with data entered by different users. Here is my problem: When I refresh data from the database, sometimes the left side data changes order or has more or fewer elements (due to changes that occur from adding or deleting courses from our schedule). When this happens, the data on the right side that is user entered ceases to be lined up with the left side data that has suddenly changed order. In fact, sometimes it becomes impossible to remember what rows were associated with which courses., rendering the spreadsheet utterly useless as a tracking tool.

The Question:
How can I associate the database updated left side rows with the user entered right side rows so that they stay lined up when I hit "refresh data" in the "data" menu?

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks,

- Craig from Princeton, NJ [/b]

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Craig

If you put the user entered data onto a separate sheet, and make sure that it has a unique key that relates to the "database" data (say Course ID or Course Name) then you could use the VLOOKUP function to bring in the existing user entered data to match the database data.

HTH

Tony

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back