Athletics - Creating a formula to calculate win/loss/tie

orange421

I am creating an excel file in order to track the history of our football team. The excel sheet has the name of our opponents as well as the score for our team and the score for the opponent. I want to have another column that has a formula to calculate, based on the score, the result with a "W", "L" or "T".

The opponent is in column "A", our team score is in column "B" and the opponent score is in column "C". I'd like for the result formula to be in column "D".

Below is the formula that I have working to get wins and losses.

=IF(B3>C3,"W","L")

I tried the following formula to also track if the game ended in a tie but I'm having trouble with it.

=IF(B3>C3,"W","L",IF(B3=C3,"T"))

Is there a formula to track all three result possibilities? Thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
What if I wanted to create a cell that adds up all of the "W" in column D? Also for "L" and "T". Thanks!

Upvote 0
Great! Last one question. It's a little trickier.

I want to create another sheet within the excel file to put our all-time record vs. specific opponents.. On that sheet I have all of our opponents listed out in column A, our wins against that opponent in column B, losses in C, points scored by us in D and opponent points in E.

Can I create a formula that can find our opponent (Example: Alabama A&M) and tally the wins/loss/points for/points against for each time we've played them, on a separate sheet? I'm sure that it would be separate formulas for each column but I don't even know where to start for this one.

Upvote 0
I am creating an excel file in order to track the history of our football team. The excel sheet has the name of our opponents as well as the score for our team and the score for the opponent. I want to have another column that has a formula to calculate, based on the score, the result with a "W", "L" or "T".

The opponent is in column "A", our team score is in column "B" and the opponent score is in column "C". I'd like for the result formula to be in column "D".

Below is the formula that I have working to get wins and losses.

=IF(B3>C3,"W","L")

I tried the following formula to also track if the game ended in a tie but I'm having trouble with it.

=IF(B3>C3,"W","L",IF(B3=C3,"T"))

Is there a formula to track all three result possibilities? Thanks for your help!

I think this is a better way to calculate The W,L,T
S+/-= Score Differential
IF(E2>0,1," ") W
IF(E2<0,1," ") L
IF(E2=0,1," ") T

HOME ScoreOpponentScoreS+/-WLTYearOpponentScoreRoad/AwayScoreS+/-WLT
Arizona Cardinals27Detroit Lions270 119Baltimore Ravens23Arizona Cardinals17-6 1
Arizona Cardinals20Carolina Panthers38-18 1 19Cincinnati Bengals23Arizona Cardinals2631
Arizona Cardinals10Seattle Seahawks27-17 1 19New York Giants21Arizona Cardinals2761
Arizona Cardinals34Atlanta Falcons3311 19New Orleans Saints31Arizona Cardinals9-22 1
Arizona Cardinals25San Francisco 49ers28-3 1 19Tampa Bay Buccaneers30Arizona Cardinals27-3 1
Arizona Cardinals7Los Angeles Rams34-27 1 19San Francisco 49ers36Arizona Cardinals26-10 1
Arizona CardinalsPittsburgh Steelers0 119Seattle SeahawksArizona Cardinals0 1
Arizona CardinalsCleveland Browns0 119Los Angeles RamsArizona Cardinals0 1
2112331187-64143-112716422132-32242
2213227164-32242-5

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back