Attendance Sheet - help with best practices

Montez659

Another day, another project! I am creating an attendance sheet db in which a user will be able to see the info for a particular group and edit the attendance (via checkboxes at this time) for 12-13 weeks. The number of weeks could vary in the future, so not sure how to take that into account. With php there was the explode command and not sure if something like that exists within Access, so that I am not storing 12 fields of true/false with each name.

I thought about having my tblParticpants set up with general info like fName, lName, emailAddress, phoneNumber and then a second table that is set to store info such on attendance like field1 - User123, field2, 2/3/2011.

Just kind of need a second (or third, or fourth) mind to help me figure the best way to plan this out. It would be nice if the fields could be updated via the attendance sheet view as well as through the input of information.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I would set up your tblParticipants like you have. I'd have another table with all the possible days listed. This can be populated with a simple loop and an append query. Then I'd have a third table with the attendance listed with the key to tblParticpants and a date. There might be another table for the function (project/training/whatever) with a foreign key into the tblParticipants to help differentiate them for differing projects and so forth.

This third table will be filled via a form with whatever dataentry niftiness you'd like, perhaps with a mainform listing the particular project/training and a subform grid and drop-downs to select the participant(s) and the date(s).

If, later, you decide to have different weeks/days you'd just fill the date table with new dates, and the participant table with new participants.

hth,

Rich

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danni317

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back