Auto calc sets to manual calc

kyoung

Has anyone seen this before. I'm using Excel 2002 in XP Pro and when I load files, Excel will decide to take off the auto calc and switch it to manual. In all the versions I've used, I have NEVER had it do this to me before. Can I force it to stay on auto calc somewhere or is it doing that because of memory limitations?

Also, anyone ever had the problem of linking to another spreadsheet, you know it is linked correctly, but the cell doesn't have the correct number? I have found that doing update link doesn't work, BUT if I hit F2 and enter as if I'm going to edit the cell, the correct number comes through. :oops:

Hope this makes sense. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated greatly.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
kyoung said:
Also, anyone ever had the problem of linking to another spreadsheet, you know it is linked correctly, but the cell doesn't have the correct number? I have found that doing update link doesn't work, BUT if I hit F2 and enter as if I'm going to edit the cell, the correct number comes through.
Does F9 also work? If so, its becasue of your manual calc problem.

Upvote 0
Travis - F9 doesn't do it either. I have to do F2 then enter. It is really interesting cause I have NEVER seen this before. It has happened to someone else at my office also, so I know I'm not crazy. I'm just wondering if this is a bug in excel that hasn't been realized yet. It isn't all the time either...I don't know, maybe I am crazy.

Von Pookie - my only problem with what you said is that there will be times when haven't opened any files, just doing a lot of manipulation and it gets "tired" Like I said, I'm wondering if it is a memory constraint in that it's trying to conserve it by not calculating all the time. It's more annoying than anything.

Thanks for the replies

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back