Auto calculate formula in blank cell

Wameld

In my Excel 2007 spreadsheet, I have the following two formulas:

in Column Q: =(D34-D$23)/D$23*100

in Column P: =(D34-D33)

When I enter a number in cell D35, the cell Q35 automatically calculates even though no formula has been entered in that cell previously, but cell P35 remains empty. How can I get the cells in Column P to auto calculate like the ones in Column Q?
Thank you for your help!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Try this:
Do a Copy on cell P34, and Paste it in P35 and on down.
Now, do you get an answer when you enter a number in D35 or any other cell in column D? Let us know if this solved your problem.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestion. I am familiar with the copy/paste technique for formulas. My question is: Why does one column (Column Q) automatically display the formula result in the next blank cell even though no formula has been previously entered there, when the other column (Column P) does not do so.

Upvote 0
Wameld:

Please forgive me for not answering sooner, but, it seems that Excel has, somehow, cut me off from the automatic emails I used to receive.

As to your question, without your actual spreadsheet, I cannot volunteer an answer; bu, if you highlight Q35 and delete its contents, visible or not, you should stop getting a value there. Oh, bevore trying the above, click on Q35, then change the font color to black. It is possible that you don't see what might be in that cell, due to the foreground color being the same as the background.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back