Auto Date Help

georgegizmo

In the FAQ area I found some info regarding my question, tried to adapt the info to my situation but was unsucessful. I would greatly appreciate some assistance.

The cells in rows 1 through 13 and columns A-H have various client info such as address, phone, date of birth, etc and this area has been frozen.
Beginning with row 14 I have merged B14-E14 so that B14 cell is now a large space (cell) for noting any documentation or action taken on that person's account. When a notation is made in B14 I would like a date and time stamp to automatically occur in A14. Then likewise a few days later when a note is entered in B15 a date/time stamp automatically occurs in A15 and so forth.

Before today I have never attempted or was even aware excel would do someting like this so please give me simple instructions. I am aware that you right click on the sheet tab and select "view code" but from that point I am lost. Please help!!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi georgegizmo:

You can use the following Worksheet_Change event code for the sheet of interest ...

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Column = 2 And Target.Row > 13 Then
        Target(1, 0) = Date
    End If
End Sub

Right Click on the SheetTab, then click on ViewCode, paste the following code for WorkSheet Change

Then whenever you make a change in a cell of column B and row 14 or greater, current date will be entered in the corresponding cell of column A.

Upvote 0
Thanks a million!!

Yogi, that is exactly what I wanted!! I received your answer that same evening, copied it over into my template and since then I have been adding clients using this template and making documentions. It is working flawlessly and it a time saver and makes the on-going job easier.
Ed

Upvote 0
Code not working on Excel 2003

I am not sure if this should be a new question but it refers back to this original one. I am using this on my home pc with Excel97 and XP Pro. It is working fine here at home but tonite when I copied the file to a disc and tried to use it on a XP Pro with Excel 2003 at work it didnt work. I got the blip about enabling macros, played around with that but was never successful getting the code to fundtion on that computer. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Hi georgegizmo:

Check your security setting on EXCEL ... it may be set to high and that might be preventing any macro to be run.

Use TOOLS|Macro|Security and check your security setting, if it is set to high you may to set it to at the most medium.

Let us know how it goes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back