Auto Enable Macros

youngda

Board Regular
I created a timesheet that automatically calculates the dates, names and other stuff for the users before they fill it out. However, because many of them have either medium or high macro security, they have a tendency to screw the sheet up by not clicking 'enable macros' when the file opens. Is there any way to prevent from Excel from even asking to enable macros and auto selecting enable? The system admin and I don't want to start putting people on "trusted publishers" list, so is there anyway to do this thru code only?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
If you can open the time sheet from Excel's alternate startup directory, I think Excel will be more understanding about running the macros for you, regardless of the "security" level.

I quoted the word "security," because I think Excel's notion of macro security is bogus. Excel warns you about malicious code, but it is unable to detect malicious code. It can only complicate your life, to no good purpose, so people can feel more secure. They are not more secure, but only insulated from the bad (and the good) that macros can achieve.

That's my philosophy, and I'm sticking to it.

Upvote 0
Larry,

I agree that it seems the security function is rather silly, especially since most people have no idea at all what a macro is and the warning system only causes them confusion. As far as virus protection goes, I work at a company with fairly sophisticated anti-virus software that is regularly updated, would you say I'm safe in going around to people's computers and putting macro security on low? Shouldn't the Norton software catch any malicious bugs?

Upvote 0
If you have users who practice risky behavior, then there could be a problem. Most sensible people get their macros from a trusted source, e.g., MrExcel. Actually, I've never heard about people downloading a lot of malicious macro code. It's mostly much 'sexier' material than that.

I don't mean to say that Excel's notion of protection is totally silly. There COULD be a problem. It's just that Excel can't do anything about it, other than get in the way. Also, I doubt that Norton or anybody can detect malicious code. They can only, potentially, detect the source. And in practice, probably not even that.

I wouldn't advise you to set Macro Security to low, but I do it myself all the time. There's just no other way to get anything done. I compare it to driving a car. Don't ever try it, unless you want to get home tonight!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back