Auto fill backwards

ronie85

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is it possible to auto fill backwards?
I have 2 sheets. Sheet 1 has data from T2:T39. I am using a =t2 =t3 =t4 formula. But the destination cells are AN2:C2 in Sheet 2. The pasting will be AN2 AM2 AL2. Basically like this;
AN2 will contain =t2
AM2 will contain =t3
AL2 will contain =t4
I have to does this a lot of times and it’ll be easier to use the auto fill rather than individually type all this in.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Is it possible to auto fill backwards?
I have 2 sheets. Sheet 1 has data from T2:T39. I am using a =t2 =t3 =t4 formula. But the destination cells are AN2:C2 in Sheet 2. The pasting will be AN2 AM2 AL2. Basically like this;
AN2 will contain =t2
AM2 will contain =t3
AL2 will contain =t4
I have to does this a lot of times and it’ll be easier to use the auto fill rather than individually type all this in.
Maybe this placed in AN2 and copied across...

=INDEX($A2:$A10,COLUMN(AN1)-COLUMN($AM1))

Upvote 0
That doesn’t seem to work. I’ve also tried it the other way.
In sheet ‘Results’ I’ve inserted into cell
C2 ‘=Website!T39’
C3 ‘=Website!T38’
C4 ‘=Website!T37’
When I try to use auto fill, hoping the next cell will be ‘=Website!T36’ it doesn’t work and gives me ‘=Website!W39’
Is there a way I can get this to continue in the sequence I want?

Upvote 0
Change Sheet1 to whatever sheet name contains the data from T2:T39 you want to use. In cell C2 of sheet2 enter this formula and drag across to AN2:

=INDEX(Sheet1!$T2:$T39,COLUMN($AN1)-COLUMN(C1)+1)

Upvote 0
That doesn’t seem to work. I’ve also tried it the other way.
In sheet ‘Results’ I’ve inserted into cell
C2 ‘=Website!T39’
C3 ‘=Website!T38’
C4 ‘=Website!T37’
When I try to use auto fill, hoping the next cell will be ‘=Website!T36’ it doesn’t work and gives me ‘=Website!W39’
Is there a way I can get this to continue in the sequence I want?

What is this C2, C3, C4 about??? Your initial post said...

"But the destination cells are AN2:C2 in Sheet 2. The pasting will be AN2 AM2 AL2."

I wasn't sure about the AN2:C2 as Column C comes before Column AN, but figured is was a typo given that the second sentence quite obviously indicates you want to put the results on Row 2 starting at Column AN and copying across. I did screw up my formula, though, so assuming you are still filling across, put this formula in cell AN2 and copy it across to cell BY2...

=INDEX($T2:$T39,39-COLUMN(A1))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, AN2:C2 was correct. I needed the data to paste backwards due to another sheet relaying on the destination sheet for data in a backwards format. I therefore started at cell C2 and entered formula =INDEX(Website!$T2:$T39,COLUMN($AN1)-COLUMN(C1)+1) and copied this across to AN2.

Upvote 0
No, AN2:C2 was correct. I needed the data to paste backwards due to another sheet relaying on the destination sheet for data in a backwards format. I therefore started at cell C2 and entered formula =INDEX(Website!$T2:$T39,COLUMN($AN1)-COLUMN(C1)+1) and copied this across to AN2.

You cannot specify ranges backwards in Excel... it won't let you. For example, enter this formula in a cell...

=SUM(AN2:C2)

then reselect the cell and look at the formula in the Formula Bar... Excel reversed the two ends of the range. Anyway, the answer to your question is to put this formula (the one I posted in Message #5) in cell C2 and then copy it across to AN2...

=INDEX(Sheet1!$T2:$T39,39-COLUMN(A1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back