Auto fill in the word

DetroitDavid

Board Regular
I’m having an issue with a spreadsheet. It’s not Excel’s Autofill with the handle to populate a range that is an issue, but I’m not sure what to call it.

In my spreadsheet, I have a column for Status. In that column of several thousand rows, it usually is blank, but when I input some data, it is one of 5-8 single words like Spoke or Wrong or CallBack.

Even with Excel’s Filter being on and displaying a filtered set of data, about 60% of the time, when I first enter a single character (in this case S or W or C), Excel will fill-in the rest of the word for me. The other 40% or so it does not recognize it at all. I’ve even noticed that if the first two characters are the same, t will sometimes try to fill in one of the two unique words. However, I keep these status words with unique first letters so I can quickly fill that cell.

How can I get Excel to always recognize this and “automatically” fill the word in for me?

I know I could create a look-up table and have a dropdown but it seems that if it’s going to work most of the time, it should be able to work all the time.

TIA - DD

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Thank you for the question and resource. Still unresolved...

I've read through it and to summarize and answer your question, there are a lot of blanks - in fact, I'd say that there are between 3 and 15 blank cells between the last data in the columns above and the new entry. Here's the funny thing - it's been working with those blank cells all along. And still sometimes works and sometimes does not.

Upvote 0
Let's try this another way. I made a lookup list. Now is there any way using keyboard shortcuts while in the cell to activate the dropdown and navigate through the options to select one?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back