Auto Fill Name

DarrenF

Board Regular
I have a 244 names and when I have people type the names I get 4 or 5 variations to the name when collecting data. Is there a way that I can have the person start typing the name and have the correct spelling appear after 3 or 4 letters are typed? If this works I believe I can correct problems with multiple name variations.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
In my data I get "John Smith","Jon Smith", "John Smit". I would like to have the person just type something like "Joh", then it would show "John Smith" you hit enter then it puts the correct spelling in the cell. Like if I duplicate a name that is in the next cell down, I can get it to pop up with the correct spelling. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
If auto fill does not work then follow the steps
1.Click on FILE
2. GOT TO "ADVANCED"
3. UNDER EDITING OPTIONS "CHECK" Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop
4.Click OK

Upvote 0
In my data I get "John Smith","Jon Smith", "John Smit". I would like to have the person just type something like "Joh", then it would show "John Smith" you hit enter then it puts the correct spelling in the cell. Like if I duplicate a name that is in the next cell down, I can get it to pop up with the correct spelling. Does that make sense?
Maybe you can create a data validation drop down list and have the user select the name?

Upvote 0
I would go into Excel Options, under Proofing, AutoCorrect Options

23kutsx.jpg

then in the box that says Replace: I would write in Jon and in the box for With: I would write in John. I would do this for all variations of the names. Then I would repeat the same for all of the last name variations.

Just know that if you use this or any method you will probably end up with errors on names because you may have typed Jon but meant Jones. You could also put in the Replace Joh or Jon and John Smith into the With but if you have more than one John you will end up with a whole bunch of John Smiths when you may have wanted John Doe.

Replace:With:
jonJohn
johJohn
smitSmith
stephenSteven
stevSteve
joneJones

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back