Auto-Filters with Criteria Ranges Stored in Rows

Saighead

Hi,

How can I create and save multiple auto-filters for Sheet1!A:A (contains a LOT of non-unique text values) using data stored in rows on Sheet2 as criteria ranges (a separate filter using each row, that is)?

PS: Also posted here.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
So, how do you want it to operate? You have your different filter sets in Sheet2 ... do you want to apply a particular filter at a particular time, or what?

Upvote 0
So, how do you want it to operate? You have your different filter sets in Sheet2 ... do you want to apply a particular filter at a particular time, or what?
I want to create a drop-down list populated with values of Sheet2!A:A. When a specific value is selected, values in the corresponding row should be used as a criteria-range for filtering. And if at all possible, this shouldn't mess with the Undo stack.

Upvote 0
Set up these names and formulas, and drop-down ... and use Data/Advanced Filter/In Place with Criteria of MyCriteria.

Attachments

• FilterSnip.JPG
    FilterSnip.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
Set up these names and formulas, and drop-down ... and use Data/Advanced Filter/In Place with Criteria of MyCriteria.
actually you don't even need the MyCriteria name, if you are keeping that in the same sheet as the list ... just use the full range of the criteria anyway.

Upvote 0

Nope, that's not it. If filtered by "Central America", results should read: "Mexico | Item 1", not "Country", "Guatemala", and "Mexico" and there shouldn't be any residual junk like those 0's. Besides, rows on Sheet2 are VERY different in length, and I wouldn't want to slow filtering to a crawl by including thousands of empty cells in the criteria range.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is it. I've filtered by Central America .... here are the results. The dynamically defined name excludes the zeros, so go back, and read what I said ... properly. Besides, you have no idea how fast Advanced Filter is ... even if the zeroes were included, you would not be able to tell the different.

Attachments

• FilterSnip2.JPG
    FilterSnip2.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
Another option using advanced filter
With E1:E2 as the criteria range.

Dummy.xlsx
ABCDE
1CountryProductCentral America
2CanadaItem 1FALSE
3ChinaItem 1
4ChinaItem 2
5ChinaItem 3
6DenmarkItem 1
7GreeceItem 1
8HungaryItem 1
9IndiaItem 1
10JapanItem 1
11JapanItem 2
12MexicoItem 1
13NorwayItem 1
14PeruItem 1
15PeruItem 2
16SwedenItem 1
17SwedenItem 2
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2E2=ISNUMBER(MATCH($A2,INDEX(Sheet2!$B$1:$O$10,MATCH($D$1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$5,0),),0))
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
D1List=Sheet2!$A$1:$A$5

Dummy.xlsx
ABCDE
1CountryProductCentral America
12MexicoItem 1
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
D1List=Sheet2!$A$1:$A$5

Upvote 0
Ooh, Fluff, I wish I'd have remembered that method ... very nice.

Upvote 0
GlennUK, Fluff, thank you guys. Your solutions work but they are way too clunky. I need to do this kind of thing A LOT, and there's just too many steps before you get the results and there's a helper column in a worksheet that's already huge. I'm looking for a one- or two-click solutions and zero additional clutter. Even more importantly, I need to be able to filter the results again using auto-filters on other columns and with these advanced filter routines I don't see how I can. Anyway, thanks again for your time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back